Sunday, May 30, 2010

authenticity in the work place?

"As human beings, we are all the same, there is no need to build some kind of artificial barrier between us. With this attitude, there is nothing to hide, and no need to say things in a way that is not straightforward. So this gives me a kind of space in my mind, with the result that I do not have to be suspicious of others all the time. And this really gives me inner satisfaction, and inner peace"
~The Dalai Lama

I am in favor of this quote by Buddhist monk, the Dalai Lama. However, I must say that this concept (like most things) is easier said than done. We do indeed build barriers between other individuals. We build walls in attempt to present ourselves as appealing, or as professional, or intelligent, attractive, lovable, etc.

When we go to work for example, we present ourselves in a way that hopefully maintains our employment and our value. At my place of work we wear casual business attire. However, I can't tell you how often I cringe when I catch the occasional business suit. There is technically nothing wrong with wearing a business suit however, it reminds me, just as with my own casual business attire that we are all conforming and therefore putting up a barrier.


(source)

My point is that I believe that the way we present ourselves physically and verbally is often unbalanced. We finesse what we say, and we are often not straightforward with what we feel and what we intend.

So, how do we break this barrier? How do we break it even when others around us maintain a level of professionalism that hides who we are as people?

Let us keep in mind that we are all indeed human beings. To understand that even the most "professional" spewing individual in the stiffest business suit has fears, desires, goals, vulnerabilities, vices, and struggles. Each person we encounter has a beating heart just like us.

Allowing barriers to come down may seem dangerous at times. But let us look for the ways in which we can be ourselves even amongst the professionals. We are not any less professional simply because we wish to allow our personalities to shine through. Easier said than done? Yep. Worth a try? I'd say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment