Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pill Portraits By Jason Mecier: How Does This Image Speak To You?

Jason Mecier is a mosaic artist who creates portraits out of food, medicine pills and junk. I am most fascinated with his work using pills.






















As you might guess the above is an image of Sigmund Freud also known as "The Father of Psychoanalysis". Or as one of my grad school professors called him, "Sigey!" 

Being that Freud was a psychologist (and often a bit of a sexist nut...with some good ideas) and so it seems fitting that Mecier would use pills to create this piece.

What I get out of this is sense of overwhelm when I see the abundance of pills. As pretty as the pills can be I wonder if the artist is saying something about the consumption of pharmaceuticals in our current climate. Mercier also has pill portraits of Courtney Love, Michael Jackson and several others.

As a psychiatric social worker, working under a psychiatrist I am quite familiar with the topic of medications. I think meds can be life savers. I really do. But I also have seen the ramifications of them as well.

I also think that many misunderstand the true benefits of medication. Perhaps because the pharmaceutical business is a wealthy one and also because there are unfortunately shrinks out there who too quickly prescribe pills for their patients. The majority of psychiatrists out there do not offer therapy. I have always found that odd. I would think it would be quite boring to visit with patients back to back and only prescribe pills. There are good shrinks out there though folks. So, when it comes to meds do not automatically think "over consumption."

When I look at this portrait I also want to run my hands through the pills. Remember when you were a kid and your kindergarten teacher would pull out a plastic kiddie pool filled with macaroni or rice? I would love to jump in one of those now. To feel the cool texture against my skin.

How does this portrait speak to you?

To learn more about Jason Mecier visit his official website here.
Visit his facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment