Saturday, February 23, 2013

Zip back to 99' When Ad-Rock Blew Me Away: 1999 MTV Music Awards Acceptance Speech

You might remember...


Adam Horovitz's 1999 MTV speech + Beastie Boys "Song For The Man" LIVE -Adam starts speaking at 2:50.

Ad-rock takes the MTV win as an opportunity to speak about the sexual assaults that took place at the 1994 Woodstock Concert.

"......you might say that the Beastie Boy 'Fight For Your Right to Party' guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever." 
- Adam Horovitz, 1999 

I remember sitting at the MTV awards while Adam made this speech and feeling so fucking proud of him. I also recall it being totally humid outside and realizing I had my period on the way there in the car, but that’s another story. This clip is total punk rock/performance art to me. I mean, getting up at a totally superficial fake hugs bullshit event like this and being vulnerable and talking about something REAL is no fucking joke. We left 5 minutes after this because it was so far beyond the “who farted?” feeling, it felt like people were gonna kill us.  

Hard to believe it was over ten years ago. He is even cuter now if you can believe it. 
~Kathleen Hanna, of the bands Bikini Kill and Le Tigre. Wife of Adam Horovitz aka Ad-rock, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment