Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Columbine - 11 Years Later



I think about Columbine from time to time and when I do it always brings me great pause, but I am always aware of it on the 20th day of each April. It is the day on which the Columbine shootings occured, it is Adolf Hitler's birthday, (which is not why the event occurred on that day. It was originally set for the 19th. There is a question of a link to the anniversary of the Oklahoma bombing which took place on the 19th) Equal Pay Day, "four-twenty" which is the day that many pot smokers celebrate, and a former close friend's birthday.

I do not wish to trivialize other school shootings or shootings of any kind, but I must say that Columbine unnerves me more than any. I think it is because I was not much older than Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold at the time of the shootings. I too, was considered "weird" by my style of dress, bright magenta hair and "odd thoughts". Just like at Columbine (and I'm sure most schools) my school experienced a weirdos vs. jocks...or "cool guys" rivalry. However, there was much more than that involved in the motive of the shooters. In addition, what intrigues and saddens me is that the boys planned out the event for a year. In reading their journals (from acolumbinesite.com) the therapist in me very much attempted to empathize their misery and pick apart their feelings and actions. But then again...in some form haven't we all?

Today marks 11 years since the event. Doesn't feel that long ago does it? Rather than get into my personal views of the whys and why nots, I'd just like to stress the importance of empathy. Not just for the victims and the families but the shooters. Yes, the shooters.

Last year I read a book that had just been released on Columbine simply entitled "Columbine" by Dave Cullen. I had heard that Oprah was planning on airing a show about Columbine which included an interview with the author. At the last minute she decided to pull it off the air as she claims she reviewed the show and felt it focuses too much on the killers.



Well, I do think that after the event there was indeed much focus on the killers. But I think with good reason. Everyone had questions. I'd like to think that it wasn't just about America's intrigue with drama and mystery.

I do think that it is important to pay attention to the victims. To celebrate them and to honor them. The people who died, the ones injured, the families, friends, the community.

I'd also like to say that as sick as the actions of the shooters were, I think all hearts and minds might heal and benefit from sending some sympathy and empathy their way. Why so?

Why does someone build so much hate inside them? So much that they are willing to kill? I am sure there are a lot of environmental sources that can contribute. Perhaps even mental issues within these boys that contribute to their struggle or unwillingness to fight it. Theories galore. My point however, is that I think that it is such a sad notion that anyone could feel that sad and that angry. I can't imagine that anyone with that kind of emotion inside them can truly blame it all on outside circumstances. I can only imagine that much of it was aimed at themselves. The boys' journals are very telling. The boys have much in common but also seem very different from each other.

According to author Dave Cullen's findings Eric was a sociopath and Dylan was truly depressed and very much a follower.

I decided to read some of the reviewing comments of Dave Cullen's book on Amazon.com.One reviewer stated that they were a former Columbine student and felt yet another book on Columbine was just not necessary as all the community wants to do is heal.

Is this person right? Should authors leave Columbine alone?

Well, I think that film makers definately should have. Gus Van Zant's movie Elefant? Not necessary in my opinion. There are more like it, and I think it is glorifying the killers rather than giving us an open view to understanding. Might I add that the boys both hoped that a film would be made about them.

One reason that Columbine books are coming out at this time is that it has taken several years for information to come out. I do think books can be helpful if the purpose is to truly understand and to take preventative measures. I think books can be helpful for parents especially.

Columbine was tragic. Columbine is tragic. What Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold felt inside is a part of that tragedy. Let us not forget the victims but let us not forget the killers. Not in a sensationalistic way but let us attempt to find sympathy and empathy towards those who harm us. Perhaps that is the true road to forgiveness.

I do ask myself. If I were one of the victims if I would be able to forgive. I don't know. I often have difficulty forgiving people who hurt me. It's one of my weaknesses. But there are indeed victims of Columbine that have forgiven the killers and that is remarkable. If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment