Wednesday, April 14, 2010

go dutch


(source)

I was in a restaurant yesterday picking up a to-go order. I was waiting behind a guy and a girl who seemed to be around the age of 19 0r 20. For whatever reasons the guy did not order any food for himself however pulled out money from his wallet to pay for whom I assumed was his girlfriend.

Originally she did not order a drink with her meal but then at the last minute changed her mind. She then turned to her companion and stated shyly, "sorry". He offered a weak smile and paid.

Whether a man is happy or reluctant to pay for his female companion (not to negate what may or may not occur within gay relationships. I am focusing on heterosexual relationships for this post) I have never understood why we still expect men to pay for dates.

In my experience I have found that there are a lot of women out there who think that a man paying for his date is "chivalrous" or simply the way a man is supposed to behave. Where did this line of thinking come from?

I can only image that it stemmed from a time when women were not expected to work for pay. Men were viewed as the providers and protectors. Are we not past those times?

I think the expectancy that a man should pay for dinner is absurd. It places an unfair pressure onto men and is altogether sexist.

If a man meets a woman whom he deems attractive and wants to get to know her, why should he have to spend money simply for the pleasure of her company?

I personally am a big fan of going dutch. Even in my long term relationships I prefer to split things down the middle. If myself or a partner truly wants to pay, then fine. If we care to purchase one another something special, fine. My issue is when one person expects the other to pay.

For those of you ladies out there who expect or prefer men to pay your way, why not take a minute and ask yourself why this is so. Where did the idea of men paying come from? Who placed the notion in your head? In my mind it just doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately, those who insist men should pay are likely to find a man who is unwilling a cheap date or a selfish person. Again, I find this to be skewed thinking. Sexist thinking to be exact.

No comments:

Post a Comment