Monday, April 19, 2010

listening to lately

Who I've been listening to lately...


(source)
Devendra Banhart



I Feel Just Like A Child by Devendra Banhart - Live at "Des mots de minuit" french tv show with Jona Bechtolt & Sir Richard Bishop

I feel just like a child
Well I feel just like a child
I feel just like a child
I feel just like a child
From my womb to my tomb
I guess I'll always be a child
Some people try and treat me like a man
Yeah some people try and treat me like a man
I just they just don't understand
Well some people try and treat me like a man
They think I know shit
But that's just it
I'm a child
Yeah I need you to tell me what to wear
I need you to help and comb my hair
Yeah I need you to come and tie my shoes
Yeah I need you to come and keep me amused
From my cave to my grave
I guess I'll always be a child
I need you to help me reach the door
And I need you to walk me to the store
And I need you to please explain the war
And I need you to heal me when I'm sore
You can tell by my smile
That I'm a child
And I need you to sit me on your lap
And I need you to make me take my nap
Could you first pull out a book and
Read me some of that
Cause I need you to make me take my nap
And I need you to recognize my friends
Cause they're there even though
You don't see them
They got their own chair, plate, and a seat
You know I won't touch my food
Unless they eat
From the roof to the floor
I crawl around some more
I'm a child
And I need you to help me blow my nose
And I need you to help me count my toes
And I need you to help me put on my clothes
And I need you to hide it when it shows
From be my daddy's sperm
To being packed in an urn
I'm a child
And when I steal you gotta
Slap me til I cry
Don't you stop til the tears run dry
See I was born thinking under the sky
I didn't belong to a couple of old wise guys
From sucking on my mama's breast
To when they lay my soul to rest
I'm a child
Well I guess I'm always be
A little child


From the Cripple Crow (2005) album

I believe this song is a cheers to embracing the genius of childhood. A wise and sometimes whimsical time when the grown ups think they know it all, when most often they are too jaded. And also simultaneously speaking to the condescending idea that adults must always believe, behave and be a certain way in order to be respected and considered up to par. As if to say, let us be children and don't you dare call me a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment