Saturday, March 26, 2011

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP7: A New Digital Camera That Alters Your Image So You No Longer Look Like You

Is there such a thing as a sexist camera? Well there is now. A friend of mine emailed the link to an article from Stylelist.com by Tobey Grumet about the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP7 digital camera.


Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP7 digital camera

The new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP7 digital camera will supposedly make you look better. The camera retouches your image by making your teeth whiter, your cheeks rosy and your wrinkles less noticible.

I wouldn't want this camera flashing a picture of me. It's difficult for me to think that there might be anyone who would look at the "after" photos and think that they are an improvement.


Shternie, before and after using the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP7 digital camera. Photos: Tobey Grumet for StyleList

I wouldn't even want to pose for and assist in advertising this product. This product I suppose is the more accessible version of airbrushing. Sure, we all have insecurities and perhaps have parts of our appearance that we do not find favorable. But why pretend? Why should we change ourselves so drastically?


Aeri, before and after using the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP7 digital camera. Photos: Tobey Grumet for StyleList

Not only do these images make the women look like wax models but embracing these photos is a form of lying. How could anyone keep up the facade? The "before" photos look authentic...because they are. I see the "after" photos as not only false but a little frightening.


Heather, before and after using the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP7 digital camera. Photos: Tobey Grumet for StyleList

As I mentioned, we all have our insecurities. Some wear make up to cover up "flaws". I personally don't wear make up because I know the minute I take it off I won't look like the image I have portrayed with powder. Sometimes I think make up can be a form of art but I definitely don't see the beauty retouches of this camera to be artistic in anyway. This product assumes that we are not happy with the way we look and therefore we need to do something about it.

I'd also like to point out that the article did not have any photos of men, just women. I can't help but wonder if the camera is geared towards women rather than men. Are women more involved in their appearances than men? Doubtful, but our society definitely asks women to "improve" their image more than men - and usually for the purpose of impressing men.

I'm not reccomending this product to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment