Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Secret Garden - Cover artwork revamped by Jillian Tamaki

The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorite novels. I read it as a child, at my mother's recommendation. I had no interest in the book, but my mom insisted. I'm glad she did.

Frances Hodgson Burnett's book, tells the story of a young, lonely, spoiled and bratty Mary Lennox.  Mary's parents die of cholera in India. Mary is then sent to live with her uncle in England. Mary enters a new life at Misselthwaite Manora and befriends a full of life boy named Dickon. Together they find a secret garden on the grounds. Mary also discovers a cousin named Colin who has been secluded and hidden in a  room due to illness. Together Mary and Dickon help Colin heal. Mary also begins to heal as she explores her own spirit and growth.


































When I was a kid I read the book which came with the above book cover. Now, that mint green is my favorite color, it is refreshing to find this book in my collection with this artwork.

As an adult I still find myself fantasizing about finding a secret garden and playing inside of it. A garden with crickety gates, high walls and sacred findings.

Just recently I saw that the cover has been revamped in an incredible way. Not as good as the one above mind you, but great just the same. I found this on Modcloth, although, I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.
























This Penguin Threads publication features embossed cover with a hand-stitched embroidery design by Jillian Tamaki.

No comments:

Post a Comment