Sunday, May 2, 2010

Giving props to Buy Olympia


Olympia, Washington holds a very special place in my little hamster heart. I spend my junior and senior college years at Olympia's Evergreen State College. The college, and the town changed my life for the better. I'm lucky to have friends that still reside in Olympia and it is a wonderful place to visit. Olympia has a young people feel. It is a small town and very much a community. Music, DIY and art are prevalent. The town is not so fast paced and is sprawling with greenery. It is a town often promotes political camaraderie, a town with hippies and post hippies, a town with cozy eateries and fun shops.

When I lived in the Evergreen dorms I had discovered Buy Olympia. Buy Olympia is a four person operation that sells handmade items online. Buy Olympia is located in Portland, Oregon but originally started back in 1999 in Olympia, Washington.

To learn more about Buy Olympia head over to their website to check out their products. Here are just a few.


Reading is Sexy pin


Lil' Enid Wallet by Tiny Meat
I purchased this long ago. Ghost World is one of my all time favorite films and "Enid" is the main character in the film. Here she is as a cute little girl wearing the hilarious BDSM mask she got "Seymour" to purchase for her.


Birch Forest flexi journal
Artwork by Lisa Congdon


I Love Oly mug

I'd also like to congratulate Buy Olympia for selling Make/Shift Magazine.


Make/shift magazine documents contemporary feminist culture by publishing journalism, critical analysis, and visual and text art. Make/shift is committed to antiracist, transnational, and queer perspectives.

The above issue is the latest and 7th issue of the magazine. To purchase you can go to Buy Olympia or you can go directly to the Make/Shift website.

Buy Olympia has been running for over 10 years now. I'm a big promoter of DIY ethics and I think that Buy Olympia is really something neat. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment