Sunday, May 2, 2010

simple garb promotes thinking

I was watching the film Doubt today began focusing on the conservative garb that the nuns were wearing. I remember focusing on this the first time I viewed this film in the movie theaters.



As much as I enjoy expression of personality through clothing sometimes I think how much easier it would be if we were to wear simple garments.


(source)

I had a friend who once told me she considered becoming a Buddhist nun. Whenever I see Buddhist nuns or monks I think how freeing it might feel to shave one's head and wear simple draped clothes each day.

I have never had any real desire to become a Buddhist nun or a nun of any sort however, when life becomes overwhelming every now and then I think how fulfilling it might be to live a life of such focus, discipline, simplicity, humility and practice.

To wake up early, to meditate, to practice good will, good diet, and to work towards not letting distractions get in the way of one's focus. Doesn't sound like a bad way to live.

I have been integrating healthier ways of living and I think what can sometimes be more difficult than the physical is the emotional. We come up with so many ways to attempt to make life easier and simpler and these ways usually have to do with technology. Making things faster, smoother, sleeker, smaller, is usually the way to get us to make a new purchase.

I think just learning to be, learning to be at peace, learning to de-stress through more humbler methods can bring about a more authentic self. Self-acceptance, self-nurturing and self-healing. I think whether we give these things labels or not we are trying to accomplish these things in various ways.

So, when I find myself yearning for simplicity or find myself intrigued by the life or appearance of a nun I surely must take that as a sign. Change is in my future. Is it in yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment