Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why I do not support the Psychiatry: An Industry of Death Muesum

A co-worker told me about a museum called Psychiatry: An Industry of Death located in Los Angeles. I laughed out loud when I learned of the museum's name as it seemed rather dramatic. Never the less, being that I am a psychiatric social worker the museum seemed interesting.


(source)

I learned that the museum is under the organization Citizens Commision on Human Rights (CCHR) and was co-founded by the Church of Scientology and Dr. Thomas Szaz. I am personally not a fan of Scientology however I became intrigued as I am familiar with Dr. Thomas Szaz.

During my senior year of undergraduate school I was given a book by this author entitled Insanity: The idea and it's consequences. Szaz may be most well known for his book entitled The Myth of Mental Illness. I never read Insanity but I have I still own it and plan on reading it just to get another view point.

Before visiting the museum my co-worked prepped me for the experience. She explained that I would be asked to sign my name and occupation. I decided to sign under a fake name and a fake occupation just as she did.

My friend who agreed to accompany me and myself were greeted by a man who briefed us on the museum's purpose. He asked us if we ever had good days and bad days. We said yes. He said that if we were to tell a psychiatrist that we have had bad days, he or she might prescribe medication. I held my tongue as I thought to myself, "um there's more to it than that".

We were warned that we were about to witness some graphic images and then allowed in.


(source)

The door was a rusted like entry way which I assume was meant to add to the dismal theme of psychiatry.

When we entered we found ourselves in a padded room we viewed a five minute video on the history of psychiatry. I soon learned that the museum was separated by sections and each section had a theme, displays, posts for reading and a video for viewing.

The museum focuses mostly on the history of psychiatry rather than the present. Displays featured blood letting tools, straight jackets, confining body bags, a girdle like mechanism to squeeze a woman's ovaries to cure hysteria and many more.

I read posts and watched videos that spoke to ECT (electric shock therapy), lobotomies, and insulin coma therapies.

One section was focused on Nazi eugenics and another on experiments conducted on African slaves.

Another section focused on children and adolescents and ADHD (attention deficit disorder). The reading posts in that section stated that Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris (Columbine shooters) were on various medications during that time which is suggestive that their behavior was due to their medication regiments.

Lastly, a memorial of deceased well known individuals who supposedly died due to psychotropic medications. Under each picture portrait was a blurb about why medications supposedly contributed to their passing. Billie Holiday, Earnest Hemingway, Charlie Parker, Judy Garland, Elliott Smith, Kurt Cobain and many more. Two of artists memorialized are still alive. I remember only one of the individuals and that was Stevie Nicks. I found it entirely arrogant that the museum would insist that Stevie Nicks will one day die due to her intake of medications.


A brief tour of the Psychiatry: An Industry of Death museum

At the end the end of the museum tour I decided to ask some follow up questions.

1) I asked if the CCHR holds the belief and view that mental illness does not exist.
I was told that they do indeed believe that there is such a thing as mental illness.

2) I asked if straight jackets are still used today in the United States. This was a test as I know for a fact that straight jackets are no longer used in the U.S. I was told that they are used.

3) I asked if the confining body bags (meant to act similarly to straight jackets) are used today in the U.S. The woman I spoke with said, "um...probably", and then turned to her co-worker. He co-worker reported that the body bags are used outside of the U.S. I have no idea if this is true or not.

4) I asked if CCHR is against the use of psychiatric medication abuses or if they are against any psychiatric medication use. They are against all psychiatric med use.

5) I lastly asked them how a person with Schizophrenia can be treated if not with medications. I was told that proper diet, exercise, vitamins and if need be natural tranquilizers can assist a person with Schizophrenia.

I left the museum with the same beliefs I had prior to my visit to the museum. I believe that yes there are many abuses within the psychiatric field. I believe that some doctors are too quick to prescribe medications and too quick to diagnose. I believe that it is a shame that for the sake of insurance companies a diagnosis must be given right away (even though the diagnosis can be changed later) and I believe that there can be side effects from certain medications that at times are difficult to combat. I also believe that much of the history of psychiatry is ugly and grim.

While I still take issue with some of the inner workings of the psychiatric system, which is to say on a macro and micro level, I still believe psychiatry has value.

I have worked with mentally ill adults in outpatient and inpatient settings. I currently work in an inpatient setting. I would like the CCHR to spend one day on my unit and then explain to me as to how it is that vitamins, exercise and natural tranquilizers are going to help such severely and persistently ill people.

I have seen first hand how medications can turn a person around completely. Sometimes it's like night and day. To see someone responding to internal stimuli, picking up something from the ground that isn't there, to listen to bizarre delusions, to listen to someone shout and scream at voices that are torturing them is very painful. To see a person like this slowly transform into a person who can smile, laugh, and think clearly is a joy.

And yes, I have witnessed those who are struggling with side effects such as tremors, fatigue and nausea. The psychiatrists on my unit work with the patient in attempt to reduce these side effects which on many occasions disappear on their own.

Medical issues are not ignored either. It is true that medical issues can affect one's mental state.

Medications do not always offer a 180 turn around. Sometimes voices do not leave a person, at other times voices are only hushed but still present. Sometimes one still struggles with depression or anxiety. Sometimes one's thought process is still slowed or one may still experience paranoia. In some extreme cases medications do not help at all. Mental illness is often a life long struggle.

Psychiatry is not perfect and I don't pretend that it is. I will say however, that psychiatry is miles ahead of where it used to be. I believe that medications can assist my patients so that they can develop a life for themselves.

While I do agree with some of the sentiments brought forth by CCHR and the museum I do not support them as I cannot subscribe to the notion that medications have no value whatsoever.

I encourage anyone who is interested to venture to the museum and make their own decision. Perhaps it will bring forth some interesting conversation or at the very least provoke thought.

To learn more visit http://www.cchr.org.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent, Lady J-
    I am the first to admit current Psychiatry does many f*cked-up things. I also must admit it's still the best option available for anyone with mental illness. I'd love Scientology to open their own "alternative" psych unit, treat the train-wreck cases I work with, and see how well their outcomes compare with traditional psychiatry. I dare them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot coming from a skilled professional as yourself.

    I asked the people at the museum if alternative hospitals exist. I was told yes, however was not offered a description or a specific name.

    I know in past decades facilities like the Soteria Project and R.D. Laing's Kingsley Hall community existed.

    I just don't know what alternatives can match the positive effects that psychotropic meds can have on many individuals.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete