Saturday, January 22, 2011

women addicted to makeup


(source)

A new study of 3,000 women conducted by Superdrug found that one in three women refuse to be seen in public without makeup. One in ten said they refuse to allow their partner to see them without makeup.

Stats from the poll:
  • Over 33% felt their partner would not have been attracted to them if they hadn't been wearing makeup when they met
  • The average woman waits 2.5 months before going makeup-less in front of her partner
  • 14% of women get out of bed early to put on makeup before their partner wakes up
  • Six in 10 women will not go to work without makeup
  • Nearly 25% believe they would be ignored for a promotion if they didn't wear makeup
  • 37% think their managers would assume they didn’t take care of themselves
Sara Wolverson of Superdrug told the Daily Mail: "For many women, putting their makeup on is an important part of their day, and the thought of people seeing them without can be horrifying. We know that when it comes to cutting back, cosmetics are seen as an essential. Wearing and buying cosmetics is not about vanity. It’s about giving a woman confidence to succeed in every area of their life."

I personally do not wear make up and haven't for years. I do not shame those who wear makeup however I do have an issue with the thought that one cannot be attractive without it. There was a brief two years in high school when I wore makeup and did feel naked without it. I can understand how one might become so accustomed to it that one might feel bare without it. I see this as a problem.

Anyone who is getting to know us with makeup is getting to know a falsehood. So, once that mask is removed what's left is vulnerability...and honesty.

If I decide to ever apply makeup in the future I will not see it as a crime against myself however I will be aware that it is an aesthetic and not natural.

If we need makeup to feel confident then something is wrong. This is a logic that I think many are not familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment