Sunday, September 11, 2011

Depaul University in Chicago is making the SAT and ACT optional. I say do away with the SAT, ACT, GRE!

Depaul University in Chicago is making the SAT and ACT optional for students applying for 2012. This is the first large private, non-profit school providing such an option.


Ana Kasparian and Jayar Jackson discuss on The Young Turks

I think this is progress however one thing does make me nervous. Depaul University is not doing away with the tests but offering the tests as optional. I feel that the tests should be eliminated completely.

I'm curious as to whether a person who takes the tests and scores high is more likely to be considered for college entry than a person who does well in school but prefers not to take the test.

Before I entered graduate school I was terrified at the thought of taking the GRE. I was resentful as I felt it unnecessary to take yet another standarized entry test. I searched for schools that did not request the GRE. I was eventually accepted into the University of Southern California (USC). I believe it was my educational background, community work experience and entry essay that landed me the gig at USC. All of that stood for itself.

A person who is entering graduate school already has enough on their plate. Attending school, completing finals but some how attempting to take GRE courses as well as writing an entry essay. I am fortunate in that I had taken a break after completing my undergrad and I did not have to have to cram in so much at once.

Allow me to give a brief "when I was your age" story. When I was a young lass there weren't any pre-test classes. At least not that I'm aware of. Back then there were no ACT classes and it infuriates me that they exist now.

Not only do students have to undergo the pressure of taking two difficult tests  but they are offered study courses to take tests that are made to be so important that classes are needed.

As time goes on it becomes increasingly difficult to get into college these days. College is often necessary when seeking employment however, nowadays it seems that a Bachelor degree doesn't get you very far.

It seems that a BA is now like a high school degree. Depending on the field Masters degree is sometimes equivalent to an Associates degree.

As gloomy and doomy as this post seems to be I do encourage furthering one's education past a high school diploma. This isn't always possible and for those of us who have Bachelors degrees and Masters degrees to not take our privilege for granted.

1 comment: