Saturday, September 17, 2011

Freddy Ruppert

In my earlier twenties, during my college years I worked at a Borders Books and Music store located in Torrance, California. You remember Borders right? The chain that is closing stores all over the U.S.?

I enjoyed the work (..until I didn't) as it allowed me to play with an endless array of fiction and non-fiction. I enjoy the feeling of a good book in my hands.

Another reason I loved Borders was the fact that they did not discriminate against kids and grown-ups who sported bright colored hair, tattoos, piercings and other garbs that were in many working environments considered "unprofessional." I was able to maintain the magenta in my hair and I didn't have to worry my prettly little dread locked head that I might be fired for my presentation.

I digress.

One of my co-workers was a young man by the name of Freddy Ruppert. I soon learned that he was involved with his own music project which he referred to as This Song is a Mess But So Am I.

















Ruppert began recording as a way to cope with the death of his mother who died of cancer. The project began in 2003 and ended in 2007. Eventually he felt that project was no longer cathardic so he stopped.


This Song is a Mess and So Am I - One Donut Bummer Tour 2006 - In Davis, California

To learn more about the project and Ruppert's personal feelings about the project, music and art in general, visit his offical blog page here.

Ruppert has ventured off onto other projects. One is entitled, Former Ghosts. I am oh so happy to find that Ruppert is still making glorious music. Although, Former Ghosts is headed by Ruppert on vocals it is a project collaborated with Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu (one of my favorites), Nika Roza Danilova of Zola Jesus, and Yasmine Kittles of Tearist. The project began in 2009 and it is still active.


Taurean Nature - Former Ghosts


Hold On - Former Ghosts

Ruppert has also invested in solo album called Dove Hounds (American Tragedies).

Freddy Ruppert - For The Sake Of by LittleCathedral
For the Sake of - Freddy Ruppert

To purchase the digital download visit Ruppert's bandcamp page here.

Although, This Song is a Mess and So Am I is no longer I am excited about Freddy Ruppet's current musical endevors. I think you should be too.













Links
Freddy Ruppert official website
Freddy Ruppert blog page
Former Ghosts official website

Freddy Ruppert official facebook page
 
Zola Jesus

Tearist

No comments:

Post a Comment