Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Don't Wear Make up. If I Did Would I Be Less of a Feminist? I Say No.

I don't wear make up. Does that make me more of a feminist than someone who DOES wear make up? I say no way. Recently however, I've come across a few blog articles that debate this.

Allow me to take you through my brief journey through make up.

I began wearing make up when I turned 15. I had just entered high school and I was finally allowed to wear it. I wore a subtle color by Clinique called "Almost Mocha". I'm amazed that I remember this. I remember I treasured it. It came in a long slender tube which differed from traditional short stout tubes which some how  made the product extra special to me.

I wore a light shade of eye shadow and black eyeliner. I found blush and mascara to be completely unnecessary and to this day I feel the same way.

In my 10th grade year, while everyone was falling in love with Kurt Cobain from Nirvana, I was falling in love with his wife Courtney Love from Hole. Say what you want about Courtney Love but I thought she was one of the prettiest women I had ever seen and I wanted to look just like her. Well, I was far from it with my magenta hair and my doc martin boots, thrift shop men's pants and shirts.  Even so I wanted to have crimson red lips as she did. I didn't pull it off like Courtney but I sure did try.

When I turned 17 I discontinued all make up use. I think I just became tired of it. I didn't like spending time putting it on and checking myself out in the mirror to constantly reapply lipstick.

When I hit 18 I began wearing eye make up again. Three shades of purple, dark eye liner and glitter. No lipstick. I kept this going until I hit 20. I ended up finishing my last two college years at a hippie college in Olympia, Washington (The Evergreen State College) and there just seemed no need. The atmosphere was very different from Southern California. Trees, crisp air, community camaraderie, vibrant liberal politics that were not concealed by the pavement and strategically placed palm trees of Los Angeles. I haven't worn make up ever since.

Well....that's not completely true. Every once in a blue moon I will place a little sparkle over my eyes with glitter. In my book glitter seems very 1997 but I don't care. I am no longer going for the fairy look but if I'm in the mood, I will put on just a tad.

I gave up make up for different reasons. It's a lot of work. I think I look fine without it, it's an expense and I just don't think the look works for me. I still think crimson lips look great on others but not on me. Most importantly I wish to reveal only my true appearance.

In our daily lives we often wear masks and costumes. Whether it's lipstick or a power suit. We usually try to put our best foot forward or we feel the pressure of having to do so in our work environments. We are told what is considered professional or acceptable in various arenas.  Sometimes we enjoy these masks and costumes and sometimes we do not.

Once upon a time I was a person who felt that I couldn't leave the house without my make up painted onto my face. I know plenty of women who feel this way. I didn't like this feeling then and I wouldn't welcome it now.

Additionally, I want romantic partners to be able to see me as I am naturally and not be fooled by compact powder and lipstick and eye shadow.

Let me say though, despite the fact that I don't wear make up, I see it as something that can be quite artistic.






















The above image is of Doe Deere of Lime Crime Make Up. The Lime Crime tag line is, "So bright it's illegal!" Deere has stated in article interviews that the make up is meant to rebel against mainstream make up products that fear color.






















Also, the woman seems to appreciate the wondrous and awesome tackiness that comes along with sparkle and unicorns. Gotta love that. Deere sometimes refers to herself as "The Unicorn Queen." 

The one make up product that resides in one of my bathroom drawers is Nymph Magic Dust Eye Shadow. Ask me when I last used it. Go ahead. "When did you last use this product Lady J?" I haven't. I bought it a few years ago and I haven't touched it. I keep telling myself that one day I'll use it. One day has yet to arrive.














Again, more with the unicorns. That attracts me.


















I'm sure by now this blog post is beginning to look like a plug for Lime Crime Make Up. That's not my intent. I'm giving you an example of what I consider fun and artistic make up. What you consider fun and artistic may differ from my view.

Make up is something that can be played with and it can be fun for women and men, girls and boys. If I were to ever start up make up again, I wouldn't consider myself to be less of a feminist. 

For those of you who are looking for more alternatives to the traditional make up styles (which as mentioned earlier can be considered just as artistic) take a look at Sugar Pill Cosmetics. I came upon these products a year ago.





















Although, I have never purchased any Sugar Pill products I do follow the blog of the Sugar Pill master mind.






















Introducing Shrinkle aka Amy Doan.

Soooo. While I feel comfortable without make up now, I have given some thought about whether my feelings might change as I age. What will happen when my hair turns gray and the wrinkles start setting in? Will I find myself reaching for the black hair dye or trotting off to the surgeon for an eye lift?

I'd like to think that I wouldn't, however, aging is something that everyone must face or embrace. And aging as a woman is...well, aging as a WOMAN. There is certainly more pressure foisted onto women to maintain their appearance to media standards than there is for men.

When a woman wishes to wear make up for the sake of playing and having fun that is one thing. But what about when a woman wears make up in the vain attempt at preserving youth? What then?

If I were to decide to make any modifications in the future how far would be too far?

There are plenty of feminist suggestions that rest on either side of the fence. There are many feminists who believe in any woman's right to choose how they wish to present their bodies. Then there are feminists who believe that the particular way in which so many wish to present and maintain their figures and faces is directly linked to capitalism and societal norms.

I am not on one side or the other; I am straddling both. I will not shame another woman for deciding to pay to slice up her body, however, I do believe that the women who do are conceding to a culturalistic viewpoint and businesses that make money off of our fear.

If I were to proceed with something as seemingly tame as dying my hair or as extreme as undergoing some kind of surgical procedure, I will do so with this understanding still in place.

Make up use becomes an issue when it is no longer used for play but when it is a barrier between you and reality.

If I were to dye my hair or fill my face full of poison I would consider it the same. A fraudulent act. If I were to ever give in to the all mighty power of patriarchy I would not consider myself to be less of a feminist. The act surely would be ani-feminist, but I believe us gals can continue our work and uphold our views even if we sometimes do not practice what we preach.

This is not to say that I am giving myself or anyone else an easy way out. We all have choices to make and while it is quite easy to point the figure at patriarchy we all must decide whether we are going to allow it to run our lives or if we can rebel against it.











For more information on Lime Crime Makeup visit the official website here.
To visit the official Lime Crime Make up facebook page click here.
To visit the Doe Deere Blogzine click here.
To visit the official Sugar Pill facebook page click here.
To visit the official Shrinkle facebook page click here.
To visit the official Shrinkle blog page click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment