Saturday, June 23, 2012

Moss

I "lived" in Olympia Washintgon between 2000 and 2002, during my junior and senior years, at The Evergreen State College. It was then that I fell in love with trees, more than I ever had before. I also fell in love with moss.

































(source)

Moss most often needs a damp area to grow. In addition to the wild, you might spot moss in more contained areas, such as Japanese gardens. 














 (source)

Moss is most appealing when it blankets a tree or rock. There are over 12,000 species of moss which is quite spectacular in my book.

I came to think of moss as a friend. I've been away from Olympia for several years now, and I miss my moss. The occasional patch pushing its way up through a crack in the sidewalk is not the same.

Moss is wonderful on its own, but artists have been known to make it their own.















 (source)

Above is a piece by Edina Tokodi 

We often look to flowers as staples of nature and beauty. But why not moss? 

No comments:

Post a Comment