Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mandala Anyone?

Gratitude is a concept that I am continually working on. Every so often when life befores more and more fast paced I catch myself and notice the small ways in which I take things for granted. As I get older I realize more and more just how human I am. I have always been one to stop and smell the roses but I do not do this on a consistant basis. Is this possible? Regardless of the answer I think it is important to be mindful of how fragile life can be.

I am a Christian gal but often learn from my Buddhist brothers and sisters. Long ago I learned that Tibetan monks create Mandalas in attempts to understand that we hold often hold onto material things or ideas with a fists so tight. In understanding that what is given or what has been worked hard to build can be taken away we become humble.

Mandalas are with colored sand and take approximately two weeks to create. Afterwards a ceremony is held where the Mandalas are destroyed. I am able to appreciate the symbolism in this ritual.












No comments:

Post a Comment