Saturday, May 19, 2012

Matryoshka Nesting Dolls from sersonart

When I was a child I was given Matryoshka Nesting Dolls; sometimes referred to as Russian Nesting Dolls. Each doll fits into the larger doll.

I enjoyed them but somewhere along the line one of my dolls became slightly cracked and two of the dolls were lost. I didn't think too much of it, but as I got older I became continuously interested in the old tradition of these figures.

I know that nesting dolls have been around for over a century. Most commonly the dolls are female and styled in peasant garb. Themes, however, may vary. You will see dolls presented in various themes and either gender. Some are very modern and feature politicians, singers, religious figures and more.
















This nesting dolls series is similar to the set I had as a child. They are made from Russian linden wood and hand painted with organic paint. To purchase these dolls visit sersonart on etsy. She sells many others that range from $20-$150 dollars. All are made of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment