Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dr. Pepper Ten is sexist and is encouraging you to jump on board













Dr. Pepper is doing its damnedest to appeal to men. Dr. Pepper Ten, is essentially a diet drink, however, according to The Huffinton Post, research found that men often avoid diet drinks as diet drinks are perceived as something that is meant for women.

Truth be told, I don't see too many men with diet soda in their hands. Patriarchy is at an extreme when men won't dare sip a diet drink. Even so, the concept is not completely unfamiliar to me. I've known men who will not touch a fruity alcoholic drink as they believe that blue, green and pink drinks are reserved for women. In the past I've posted about how the yummy Japanese chocolate snack, Pocky, sells "Men's Pocky" which is simply dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate. I actually prefer dark chocolate to milk. Does this mean I am a man? Does this mean I am less of a woman? Of course not. It means that some men apparently feel so insecure that they cannot stand to be seen purchasing milk chocolate.

Dr. Pepper Ten is different from Diet Dr. Pepper as it does have calories and sugar. Yes, apparently a "manly" drink must contain these ingredients. The drink's packaging is also different as it presents a masculine silver can.


Dr. Pepper Ten - Commercial

"Hey ladies. Enjoying the film? Of course not. Because this is our movie and this is our soda. You can keep the romantic comedies and lady drinks. We're good."

There's a facebook page dedicated to this drink. That's not surprising being that there is a facebook page for everything these days. Facebook is a great way to promote something you believe in. According to The Huffington Post, the Dr. Pepper Ten page will greet women with an application that keeps women from viewing the content. I visited the site and didn't find this app. The Huffington Post also mentioned that the page hosts games and videos aimed at being "manly." One of the games being a shooting gallery where a player can shoot high heels and lipstick. I did see the videos but did not see the shooting gallery. Perhaps some features have been taken down due to disapproval.

This product is one of those things that will offend some women, but will be brushed aside for the sake of profit. Those who buy into this machismo (men and women alike) are likely to think that the rest of us are just uptight and don't get the humor. But that's just it. Sexism comes in all forms and it can be masked in something that is seemingly light and airy. Some of us know better. Am I afraid of a commercial? You bet I am. I don't have children and have no desire for them, but I wouldn't want my son or daughter soaking in this commercial's message. Hell, I don't want a person of any age soaking in this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment