Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Happy National Coming Out Day






















I want to wish my LGBTQI brothers and sisters a happy National Coming Out Day. While it is not a day that is often marked with balloons and cake, it can indeed be the birth of something wonderful. And of course this birthing does not have to take place on Coming Out Day. Being that I am not a member of the LGBTQI community I really have no idea as to what it is like to come out, to contemplate coming out, to take the risk, to come out with fear, to come out with ease, to take that step.

Coming out isn't something that necessarily happens just once. Coming out to any one party can have its difficulties and I imagine can be emotionally taxing. To do it over and over again? As a person with heterosexual privilege all I can do is imagine. Once a person is out, they stay out with those whom they have come out to, and then they make the decision as to whether they want to come out to others. Staying out can have wonderful rewards and unfortunately it can potentially have consequences from oppressive naysayers.

My wish is that we get to a point where a National Coming Out Day isn't something that we need but rather our world becomes more accepting, encouraging, supportive, and welcoming, so that coming out is something that can be easier as time goes on. Let us believe that one day coming out will be something of nonchalant detail rather than flinching information. I raise my glass to my LGBTQI brothers and sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment