Monday, October 17, 2011

National Edge Day. Is It Necessary?

I just learned that today is National Edge Day. The day was first celebrated on October 17, 1999 at the final Ten Yard Fight concert at the nightclub Karma in Boston, Massachusetts. There are so many "days" or rather non-traditional celebrations and holidays that recognize various causes and interests. There are so many that at times it seems trite. Although, I haven't given myself the Straightedge label in 8 years, I am drug free. Although, I'm drug free, National Edge Day has very little meaning for me. How does one celebrate Edge Day or put forth awareness? I suppose it can be celebrated in any way one chooses, however, I think for most, the day will consist of nothing other than wishing fellow Straightedgers, a Happy National Edge Day.


















If Edge Day really means something for you then by all means celebrate it. On the one hand it strikes me as a day that promotes the trendy hip factor that so many have turned the movement into. On the other hand I see that the day can signify something that has helped them understand themselves as a drug free individual. Some have messy histories with substance use and some like me simply like to be in control of their senses.

I've written about my own journey with Straightedge and the movement in general. To read my post Straightedge: Was it really a movement? Did it ever need to be? Is it making a come back? Did it ever leave?, click here. 

For those who plan to observe the day, go ahead and eat, not drink and be merry. My only hope is that the day can be honored without the belittling of non-sober individuals. It is quite possible to eat, not drink and be merry with those who choose to eat, drink and be merry. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment