Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mandala anyone?

(an old post re-visited)

Gratitude is a concept that I am continually working on. Every so often when life becomes more and more fast paced I catch myself and notice the small ways in which I take things for granted.

As I get older I realize more and more just how human I am. I have always been one to stop and smell the roses but I do not do this on a consistant basis.
Is this possible? Regardless of the answer I think it is important to be mindful of how
fragile life can be.

I was doing some surfing on the internet and found some amazing photos of Tibetan Mandalas.



To teach a lesson in impermanence, Tibetan Monks create Mandalas with colored sand.



The Mandalas take two weeks to create and then through ceremony they are destroyed.



I was really able to appreciate the symbolism of this ritual. Just how healthy are our attachments to thought, idea and material possessions?



Should we strive to live as simplistically as possible? I suppose it is a decision for each individual to make. I think that what can be taken away from the lesson of the mandala is that there are certain things in our lives that take priority and it is up to us as to whether those priorities need adjustment.



I am a person who attaches meaning to certain personal possessions. I am also a person who attaches sentiment to certain ideas and thoughts. When emotion is involved it can be quite difficult to rearrange, modify or just plain let go.



Perhaps like the Tibetans I should find ways to shed what is not necessary into the river.

(All of the above photos are taken from giantmonster.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment