Sunday, November 29, 2009

Serotonin around my neck


(source)

I have come across a website that sells quite interesting jewelry. MadeWithMolecules.com sells silver necklaces in the shape of molecules. While they are expensive (between $75-$85) I find many of the pieces to be beautiful and interesting.


(source)
Serotonin Molecule Necklace

Serotonin is a modern symbol of happiness as serotonin molecules interact with receptors in the brain to induce feelings of happiness and relaxation.


(source)
Silver Dopamine Necklace


The neurotransmitter dopamine acts in the pleasure center of or brains and motivates us to desire pleasurable activities such as eating and kissing. The feelings that accompany being in love are due to an increase in dopamine. In addition dopamine is critical for movement control, memory, attention and problem solving.

The website offers other variety such as molecule structures for estrogen, caffeine, chocolate and endorphins.

I just ordered myself a Serotonin necklace. I think it beautiful and representative of humility. A symbol of how human, how simple and how complex we all are.

4 comments:

  1. This is an old post, BUUUUUT I'm 15 and have serotonin deficiency syndrome. I am soooo jealous! I want this necklace so tremendously bad! :/I'm so broke though haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    Thanks for stopping by. Thanks for sharing a part of you that is so personal. I wish you well!

    I do love my necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. where did you get this necklace!!!???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Click on the link within the post. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete