Sunday, November 1, 2009

Oatmeal again

I have just recently started eating oatmeal again. I began eating it pretty regular in grad school when I was interning at a psychiatric hospital. The cafeteria always served oatmeal and it became part of my morning routine.



I've always heard that it was good for you but never really knew why.



Daily consumption of a bowl of oatmeal can lower blood cholesterol. It's full of fiber and yummy.
Oatmeal can be in the form of steel cut oats or rolled oats. Steel cut oats are whole grain which have been cut into only two or three pieces. It is said this form is the healthiest.



Steel Cut Oats: Less processed. Same caloric intake as rolled oats however micronutrients are present.

Rolled Oats: Oats that are rolled flat and do not have the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that oats have to offer (things like Magnesium and Selenium).



It's difficult for me not to use brown sugar in my oatmeal which I'm sure weakens the health benefits of it. I like my oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon (cinnamon is good for you as it helps regulate blood sugar) as well.

I usually feel that I don't have time for breakfast in the morning. But I think most of us know that we need breakfast to break the fast. In other words we haven't eaten all night and we need break fast to jump start our metabolism. Our blood sugar, or glucose levels, are very low since you've been asleep without a meal for 6-10 hours. The body is basically running on empty in the morning.

Our brain feeds on glucose, but does not store glucose. You'll be more sharp and have better concentration when you've had a big breakfast. Glucose also feeds your muscles, so you'll feel less tired and have more energy overall.v Studies have also shown that individuals who usually skip breakfast are usually heavier than those who do not.

In the mornings I usually have a protein shake as I am running out the door in the morning. Think I might have to bring some oatmeal with me!

Starbucks has been selling oatmeal as well.



They serve it all day and you can choose to add a nut medley, dried fruit and brown sugar.
It's yummy but a bit on the expensive side. $3.95!

Jamba Juice also sells oatmeal for only $1.00.



Here's the nutritional difference between the two.


STARBUCKSJAMBA
Calories 140 180
Fiber 4 5
Protein 5 8







I'd say Jamba is the better choice even though it has more calories. And hey it's cheaper!

Of course eating oatmeal at home would be cheaper than that. But if you want something on the go I think these are good choices.

Here's to breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment