Thursday, November 12, 2009

White Rice; A Guilty Pleasure

Um...I like rice...


(source)

I love rice actually and it really is a guilty pleasure because white rice basically turns to sugar (In fact most white food products turn into sugar).

Rice goes through several of processes before it's ready to cooking. After rice is harvested, the seeds are run through a rice husker for milling to remove the outer grain husks. After this you are left with brown rice which is much healthier.

To create white rice the germ and the inner husk (bran) is removed, the grain is then polished, usually using glucose or talc. These added steps remove nutrients that are sometimes then introduced back in via synthetic sources - this is called fortified white rice.

Plain white rice has much less Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron and over dozen other nutrients. Additionally, the dietary fiber contained in white rice is around a quarter of brown rice.

But boy is white rice yummy! I love brown rice as well but I'm most fond of white rice.

I love to eat rice in a variety of ways. Chicken fried rice with soy sauce or rice with nori (dried seaweed).

What's even more more of a guilty pleasure is sticky rice. Sticky Rice (khao neow) is a unique variety of rice that contains an unusual balance of the starches present in all rice, causing it to cook up to a sticky texture.



I saw this randomly on the internet and I can't believe I never thought of it. Mango and sticky rice! Mangoes are one of my favorite foods. I'm making this simple dish this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment