Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 15th

May 15th is my birthday. I officially stopped celebrating my birthday at the age of 15. Sounds strange I know, but at the age of 15 I actually felt that I was getting too old. I know, I know but I won't get into that here.

As I became even older I felt uncomfortable with the tradition of others giving me gifts. I've never been one to enjoy being the center of attention and I never really felt that birthdays truly celebrated life and years of learning.

Yesterday at work however, a co-worker posted a long list of events which took place in history on May 15th. It was interesting to read various on goings that took place on my date of birth.

Here are a few highlighted births, deaths and events.


1817 - Opening of the first private mental health hospital in the United States, the Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason (now Friends Hospital) in Philadephia, Pennsylvania.


1869 - Women's Suffrage in New York


1886 - Death of Emily Dickinson - American poet


1928 - Mickey Mouse premiered in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy"


1935 - Birth of Utah Phillips - American labor organizer, folk singer, activist, storyteller


1940 - Nylon stockings went on sale for the first time in the United States


1970 - The Beatles' last LP, "Let It Be," is released in United States


2003- Death of June Carter Cash - American singer and wife of American singer Johnny Cash


2007 - Death of Yolanda King - American actress and activist, daughter of Martin Luther King, Jr.


2008 - California's Supreme Court rules in favor of same sex marriages

So, today I will be hiding under the covers pretending I am younger than I am. Yes, I need to do something about this. I need to find a way to celebrate age rather than hide from it. I'm actually a young woman but like many I don't feel ready to be the age I actually am.

While I am glad to be alive and glad to be a person who values personal growth I am not going to be celebrating the wonder that is me. Today I will recognize some of the other events that took place on this day. Even the deaths of the above mentioned bring forth reflection.

Let us always mark the dates of new beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment