Monday, November 16, 2009

chai tonight

Tonight's tea choice is chai. I decided to look up some information about this soothing delight.



Apparently, Chai is the actual word for tea in many countries.
When speaking of chai the country usually most noted is India.

I
n its most basic form, chai is black tea that is brewed strong with a combination of spices and is diluted with milk and sugar.

Black tea contains antioxidants which can help to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Processed chai drinks like chai lattes are not as beneficial as traditional chai tea, as these drinks often contain minimal chai and white sugar. The spices may not be as potent because coffee shops tend to order chai mix in large batches rather mixing it fresh daily.

I rarely drink chai tea lattes. Not because I am concerned of the lesser health benefits but because I haven't found a chai latte I thoroughly enjoy. I find that I rather dislike the Oregon Chai mix or Tazo Chai blend that is often used in coffee shops. I'm also still searching for a really good chai tea in loose tea form. The hunt continues..

No comments:

Post a Comment