Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chinese Lunar New Year 2010 - Year of the Tiger

February 14 is the first day of the Chinese lunar new year and this is the year of the Tiger. I had purchased some postage stamp, with yellow daffodils, which have been released by the USPS to celebrate the season.



I just came across an etsy page by Olivia Moon. She is selling the stamps framed so as to be worn as a pendant.

I'm particularly fond of this stamp as daffodils are my all time favorite flower. They remind me of trumpets and have a very Alice in Wonderland feel.

I have grown particular fond of the way in which Chinese New Year is celebrated rather than the traditional American New Year.

I have forfeiting celebrate most holidays and New Year's Eve and Day have fallen off my list of sacred moments long ago. It seems that New Year's has become an excuse to throw a party, serve liquor (as if anyone really needs and excuse to have a party) and perhaps even throw out a flighty resolution.

I have never felt that it is necessary to use a new year to start a new. I don't think I know anyone in particular who truly uses the new year as a wiped slate to start forward with. I think a new attitude, new behaviors, new spirit can be motivated at any time.

It seems however that most seem to use the year as a symbol of a new beginning, a symbol of age, or a symbol of time.

It could be argued that perhaps Chinese New Year could be perceived by some with the same attitudes that many give New Years celebrations in the states. I suppose anyone can maintain tradition and not put one's heart into it.

I simply enjoy the idea of kind wishes and tidings and positive energy placed into the air. The traditions seem more heartfelt and sincere than American traditions.



China issued a stamp marking the 2010 Lunar New Year. This year is the Year of the Tiger which is featured here on the stamp. The red character displayed on the stamp is called "Fu" which means "luck."

I do not believe in luck but I do believe in positive energy which is a concept that must be practiced. So, with this Chinese New Year I enjoy the symbolism but encourage us all to make positive strides at any point that we see fit. Let us clean our slates and create not luck but great change.

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

No comments:

Post a Comment