Monday, February 15, 2010

sexist tea ware

As of late I have been collecting vintage and not so vintage tea cups. Just recently I disappointingly came across this tea cup which has the word "slut" marked across it. It was some time last year that I had come across a flask that had the same word across it. To read that post click here.



This image is from trixie delicious. I am in no way promoting this item however I do want to give credit for the image as it is not my own.

The words "slut", "bitch" and a few other choice sexist terms have been sported across t-shirts, and other forms of merchandise.

Nowadays words like these have been embraced as either humor or as sources of female empowerment. Neither concept is sensical.

In today's lexicon women and men use the word "bitch" and "slut" to belittle and tear down and some attempt to reclaim these words in a more positive light.

Reclaiming language hasn't worked for society. Women are not more empowered through confident utilization of these words. So, we are some still flashing the words as means of art, cleverness, or marketing?

Trixie Delicious is simply cashing in on patriarchy. Not a new concept and certainly one won't die any time soon.

I encourage anyone who found this tea cup amusing, sassy, or empowering to ask themselves why.

No comments:

Post a Comment