Friday, April 8, 2011

Pole Fitness for Jesus?

Crystal Dean is a woman who leads an exercise class called Pole Fitness for Jesus. Sound strange? Ridiculous?

The class takes place at a studio called Best Shape of your Life in Old Town Spring, Texas. The class is free for church goers and the pole dancing is set to the tunes of contemporary Christian music (as a Christian myself I gotta say I hate Christian music. Tacky and not in a good way).



As a feminist I do not favor stripper pole dancing however I have come to see that their can be quite a bit of athleticism involved in pole dancing without the tease.


(source)

I don't have a problem with pole dancing as a an exercise form. I personally have no interest in the clear plastic heels, the stripping aspect or exploiting myself for the male gaze.

I am not sure why instructor Crystal Dean is so insistent that pole dancing and Jesus go together. According to the L.A. Times Dean says, "God gives us these bodies, and they are supposed to be our temples and we are supposed to take care of them." In the L.A. Times article Dean says she's not teaching women to be strippers but rather teaching women to be fit. That's fine but it seems that Dean is trying to decrease the stigma of pole dancing by covering it up with Christian music and a link to Jesus. If pole dancing on it's own is a good form of exercise then why does it need to be linked to God?

As a person who has danced in various forms for many years (ballet, swing dancing) I am not opposed to the strength and grace that can come from pole dancing. I just don't agree with the crawling on the floor, the attempt to entice men (or women) sexually, or the stripping that often comes along with it. Oh, let's not forget the clear plastic heels!

I found a website called The Pole Dancing Academy which offers example videos of various pole dancing moves. These briefl instructional video clips give an idea as to the strength necessary to complete pole dancing moves.


Horizontal Tuck


Center Swing

In my search I came across some other videos on YouTube from US Pole Dance Federation. Yes apparently there is a USPDF.

According to the website the judges have "extensive backgrounds in gymnastics, fitness, professional dance and choreography, and aerial work. USPDF judges are also thoroughly educated and trained by the board of USPDF."

I watched a USPDF competition video on Youtube and it seems that the skimpy costumes are a vital part of the competition and according to the USPDF website men are not allowed to compete. I take issue with this. I suppose I'm being too hopeful by thinking it might be possible for pole dancing to be presented in such a way that women aren't applauded for how they can impress men.


2010 USPDF Westcoast Highlights

It seems that organizations like USPDF and other outlets are attemptign to legitimize pole dancing as something sincere however I have little faith that the those who are promoting this avenue will ever eliminate the "sex sells" aspect of it.

Would it be so horrible of a woman or man were to enter a pole dancing class or contest with bare feet or ballet slippers rather than heels? Would it be so terrible of pole dancing classes didn't focus on "pleasing your man?"

I know this is a strange comment but, pole dancing has a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment