Friday, April 29, 2011

Xenia

I have never watched American Idol and have found no interest in it. I didn't think I'd find interest in NBC's new show The Voice but when I learned the premise of the show I was intrigued.

There are four "coaches" which include Cee-lo Green, Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine (Maroon 5) and Blake Shelton. The judges have their backs to the performers so they can focus only on their voices. If they like what they hear and want to help coach them they will push a button which will swing their chairs around. One the performers finish their chosen songs they must pick a coach. In other words the coaches are in competition with each other.

After watching the premiere episode I was hooked. One of the performers who caught my attention was 16 year old Xenia. Her full name is Xenia Martinez however she just goes by Xenia on the show.



Xenia chose to sing a song called "Break Even" by The Script. I had heard parts of this song on the radio but did not know who the song belonged to. I did appreciate some of the lyrics and I think that Xenia's voice brought the song to life. It was no longer just a pop song but it had more depth and struck me as more of a folk song.


Break Even - The Script cover by Xenia

When I first heard Xenia's voice it very slightly reminded me of Alana Davis.



I first heard of Davis' work in 1007 as she covered Ani Difranco's song 32 Flavors. There was a controversy over the song as Davis' version is very pop and Difranco's work is socio-political in nature and some fans considered Ani to have sold out as she allowed Davis to cover the song.


32 Flavors - Ani Difranco cover by Alana Davis

I must say that I enjoy Xenia's voice much more. The rasp in her voice is quite profound and I can say that I am now a fan.


Break Even - The Script cover by Xenia (full song recorded in 2010)

The song is originally sung by a male vocalist and he is singing about a woman. Xenia made the song her own by not only singing in reference to a male counterpart but by changing the lyric, "praying to a God that I don't believe in" to "praying to a God that I do believe in."


Break Even - The Script cover by Xenia (studio version 2011)

"Cuz I got time while s/he got freedom
Cuz when a heart breaks
No it don't break even"

No comments:

Post a Comment