Saturday, April 9, 2011

Slut Walk Toronto 2011



I'm late posting this but I still think it's important so I'm posting it now.

On April 3rd, of this year Slut Walk took place in Toronto in response to a Toronto police officer's comment that women could avoid rape if they didn't dress like "sluts." The policeman made the comment to students at York University in January.


(source)

I think there are a lot of us who know that a woman doesn't deserve rape no matter what she wears. However, I do think that there are many who think that a woman can lessen her chances of assault if she were to cover up. Whether this is true or not is not the point.

The myth of male weakness suggests that men cannot help themselves and if a woman is wearing revealing clothing he must stare and apparently some men are compelled to rape. Not only is this insulting to men and not giving men enough credit, many men and women alike subscribe to this myth.


(source)

I personally dislike clothing that reveals what I consider too much of my body. I myself have made judgments when I have watched women wear clothing that I deem inappropriate. Even so I have never once thought that a woman wearing revealing clothing was ever "asking for it." If a woman's goal is indeed to attract attention with her clothing choices it seems logical that the desire for attention does not include a desire to be raped.

On the official Slut Walk day women dressed up on fishnet stockings, heels and other "slut" like garb and chanted "Whatever we wear, wherever we go, yes means yes and no means no."

To learn more about this event go to Slut Walk Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment