Monday, July 4, 2011

S&M by Rihanna: Dominance Does Not Equate to Authentic Power or Destruction of Patriarchy


S&M by Rihanna

I do not know if Rihanna truly practices S&M however my guess is she doesn't. Perhaps it sounds arrogant of me to say so being that I do not know Rihanna personally but my theory does have some basis. Sex has always been a popular part of music particularly pop music. This is not always counter-productive however, it seems that there is this increasing belief that sex equates to power. After all the act dominance vs submissive has been invading our bedrooms in overt and subtle ways for years and years.

In the video it seems that she is also suggesting that she has an S&M relationship with the media. A good metaphor however I think this song/video is just another excuse for Rihanna to dress down and play the sex appeal angle (not that anyone needs an excuse to do these things).

Later in the video Rihanna suggestively eats a banana, strawberry and an ice cream cone. This has been done over and over. While others might find it alluring and daring, I find it to be dull and overrated.

I know debaters will say Rihanna appears to be exhibiting power as she is a female dominating men. Domination does not equate to authentic power and it is not suddenly healthy just because a woman is dominating a man. Songs and images like this do not tear down patriarchy but rather lift it up.

Rihianna's song is yet another example amongst gazillions as to how women also perpetuate patriarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment