Thursday, December 24, 2009

Here's to nutcrackers


(source)

For someone who doesn't like dolls (they're scary!) it's amazing that I love nutcrackers. I actually find them to be quite magical.

I found the above image at www.nutcrackerballetgifts.com. The website has many different nutcrackers for sale.

I own a couple of nutcrackers and find the love of a piece of wood to be quite interesting. They are not cuddley in anyway however they present themselves with a stoic mystery that is intriguing.

As a child I went to the Nutcracker ballet a few times. I enjoyed the story although I do remember as a child wishing that the dancers would speak.
;)


(source)

There is something so mysterious and wondrous about the Nutcracker story.


Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies - Performed by Mariinsky Ballet (Kirov Ballet) in October 1993 at Mariinsky Theater in St Petersburg. Larisa Lezhnina - Clara 1993

The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies is such a deliriously haunting song but that's what makes it great.

(I appreciate ballet however as a person who has danced ballet for a number of years and refused to wear toe shoes, I must say I cringe a little as I watch ballet dancers on point. Point shoes are beautiful however what a tortuous tradition to attempt to get used to.)

Here's to nutcrackers!



No comments:

Post a Comment