Friday, December 25, 2009

warming up to Lady Gaga



My first taste of Lady Gaga was when I witnessed her video Poker Face as I was working out at the gym. I thought the video was terrible. The only part of the video I did enjoy was when the singer rose out of a pool wearing a metallic mask. I enjoyed the contrast of water and metal which seemingly does not go together.



I thought the song was terrible and very cliche for today's generic MTV crowd. I truly did not understand the fuss over Lady Gaga.



I saw Lady Gaga perform at the 2009 MTV awards where she sang "Paparazzi". I didn't find the performance very stimulating. I did however love two of the costumes she chose. One was a bold red laced dress with a red crown and lace face covering.



Another was a white feathered outfit that surrounded her face like an eskimo parka.

What I've come to learn is that Lady Gaga combines pop music with art. I have come to enjoy a few of her songs but most of them I find boring and generic rather than expressive and exploring. But there is something about the contrast to commercial pop music and avant garde that brings for an intriguing combination.

I am quite envious that not only does Lady Gaga gets to wears so many creative costumes but she gets to move in them. What fun to explore with movement in such interesting textures and shapes and colors of fabric and material.

Lady Gaga often wears skimpy clothing and I don't find that to be inspiring, new or artistic in anyway. Naked, has been done over and over and over. It's exploitive and it is very commercial. For whatever reasons the concept is of interest to Lady Gaga.

The first performance of hers that I really enjoyed was her performance of "Bad Romance" and "Speechless" at the 2009 American Music Awards. The costumes were inventive and she explored areas of modern dance which to my knowledge has not been presented at a televised music award show.


Lady Gaga performs "Bad Romance" and "Speechless" at the 2009 American Music Awards


Lady Gaga - CNN Interview 2009

I began looking up Lady Gaga music videos and fell in love with the costumes and modern dance offered within them.


Bad Romance by Lady Gaga


Paparazzi by Lady Gaga

I could do without the make out scenes. It really comes off as an excuse to attempt to present oneself as "sexual" (as if nakedness, half-nakedness, slithering around and kissing is the only way to symbolize sexuality).

Often in music videos today I notice that videos seem to lose concept and just pack in as much "sexy" shots as possible along with as many wardrobe changes as possible. If the purpose is to present a story along with the song, this doesn't work. If the purpose is not to present a storyline this still comes off as cluttered and superficial.

Lady Gaga's videos are jam packed with wardrobe changes. She kind of gets away with it because the costumes are so extravagant, quirky and beautiful.

So, there you have it. There are aspects that I admire and do not admire about this chick. Who knows how long it will last but it seems that I am begining a rousing an affair with Lady Gaga.

No comments:

Post a Comment