Saturday, December 26, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are plush dolls. They're not just for kids.

When the Where the Wild Things Are film was released I was certain that Wild Thing plush toys were to follow. I didn't actively go hunting for them and remained content with my mini Wild Thing plush toy.


(source)

Many years ago when I was a pre-teen my mother and I were in a teacher's supply store and I saw a mini version of the Wild Thing monster "Bernard". It looks just like the above photo but a much smaller version.

I love my little Bernard and I will continue to love him, however I found a larger version on clearance at Barnes and Noble today. I think I should mention he's a lot cuddlier than the above image.


(source)

I found a "Max" doll but he looks creepy as you can tell by this picture. I decided not to purchase him.

When I told one of my friends that I purchased a "Bernard" plush toy she laughingly told me that she thought I was regressing.

I embrace my childlike wonder and the fact that I am still excited about these magical characters even many years after childhood.

I think many of us are attracted to soft things that we can hold and gaze at. "Bernard" makes me smile and I don't feel awkward holding him in my arms while I carry on a conversation about politics or current affairs with a friend.

I hope I'm still holding stuffed animals and other plush toys when I'm 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment