Sunday, January 31, 2010

American Idiot the Musical? Apparently so.

American Idiot the musical? Apparently so. Initially I was surprised that Green Day would back up such a hoopla of a production however I am no longer as surprised.



The band formed in 1987 and my first exposure to them came in 1994. As Green Day became more in more successful, like many bands before them, they were viewed by some die hard fans as sell outs.

As the years went on my interest in Green Day became less and less. Not because I felt they had sold out, I suppose I just admired their earlier work all the more.

I remember hearing complaints from Green Day fans stating that the band had becoming increasingly poppy. But Green Day had always made pop music. They went by the "punk" genre however they always made sing along music (and I do think that punk music can be combined with pop and still considered punk). I think what happened to Green Day is that they became not increasingly pop but increasingly commercial and they did so even with their political stance after 9/11.



I am not opposed to Green Day's music or their choice to back a musical, although I do notice this move to be a reflection of changed times. No way could Green Day do this in the 90s without being crucified.


American Idiot the Musical - Trailer

So, it seems by the trailer that the punk flavor in this production has definitely been tailored and modified to a more generalized commercial brand. But hey it's theater. It wouldn't be a big production without it.

I haven't seen the musical and who knows perhaps if I did I may even enjoy it. I don't know enough about it so I dug up some articles.

According to Tonic.com the storyline, "follows working-class characters from the suburbs to the city to the Middle East, as they seek redemption in a world filled with frustration — an exhilarating journey borne along by Green Day’s electrifying songs." The soundtrack includes songs from both American Idiot as well as Green Day's newest album, 21st Century Breakdown."

"The entire concept of Green Day's album was based on the zeitgeist of 2004 — Americans were confused about the post-9/11 climate of the country and young people felt more disaffected and out of touch than ever despite how plugged in everyone thought they were because of the dawn of the Internet and smartphone era."

So, who knows folks. If anyone sees this let me know. Is a Tony in the future for Green Day?

I don't consider this a motion of selling out if there is heart behind the decision. Selling out after all is a move made based on economics and fame. So, how can we know for sure? In other words I have retracted my claws, especially considering the fact that Green Day is a band that I don't follow so much anymore.

Good luck to them and hopefully the message of unifying individuals after the heartbreak of 9/11 will shine through.

No comments:

Post a Comment