Friday, January 22, 2010

The Promise of Pills by Alexandra Walters

It has been recently that I have discovered some great artists who have found interesting and creative outlets for their personal struggles of mental illness.

Here Alexandra Walters knits various mental health medications for her project The Promise of Pills.


Prozac


Prozac

From the artist:

The Promise of Pills explores the identity of illness, the promises of drug marketing, and frustration with the current healthcare system in the US.

I use embroidery to mimic the swirling colors and visible brushstrokes of oil painting. I use dozens of colors of cotton, silk, and rayon floss on each image. I spend 30-60 hours stitching every one. The time and labor it takes to create these pieces reiterates the uphill struggle of recovery and the depth of compassion needed to conquer mental illness.

I use my background textiles to comment on my subject matter. The cheerfulness of printed fabrics echo the drugs’ promises of sunny, uncomplicated happiness while standing in sharp contrast to the reality of depression and anxiety. I occasionally use textiles pulled from my daily life–scrub smocks, kitchen linens, bedding, and my daughter’s clothing–to show how much of a person’s life is affected by illness.

I want to bring beauty and individuality to the stern geometry of pills. I want to blur their rigid, clinical lines. With the warmth and softness of fiber, I am giving humanity to medical diagnoses and their chemical solutions.


Rx Bottle


Lithium (Eskolith)


(source)

To view more pieces and various thoughts from the artist visit her website featuring entitled Self Guided Art Therapy at http://meetmeinthedayroom.wordpress.com.

Alexandra Walters has another blog which focuses on fiber crafts entitled Knit-R-Done.

As I was viewing Ms. Walter's blog I came across a post in which she displays two close up photos of many incredibly deep scars along the insides of her arm. I considered posting these images in attempts to inspire others who are struggling with mental illness to move forward. Being that I am a mental health professional, encouraging and advocating for the mentally ill is a big part of who I am. I eventually decided against posting the images. Despite the fact that Ms. Walters posted these images for all to see, I feel that it is not MY place to post them. She posted them on her own blog and they are not for me to post.

I would simply like to say that I am humbled by her strength. Although, I do not know the details of her life I am proud that she has found an outlet to assist her in her journey.

As I sat staring at these gruesome images I began to wonder what stories preluded each scar. This woman has her own unique brain, her own unique life, her own unique reaction to her own mental illness. However, I do not doubt that there are similiarties between she and countless others who have struggled with mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment