Sunday, April 29, 2012

Starbucks Was Using Beetle Extract to Make Our Speciality Drinks















According to Lime Life, many of Starbuck's drinks consist of red food coloring made from crushed up cochnieals. In other words, beetles. These small bugs are found in Latin America. Why didn't we find out about this now? An anonymous vegan barista spilled the coffee beans (sorry, I couldn't resist).

As of now there is a petition that was offered on Change.org to stop this process. Now Starbucks has announced that these items will be removed from the menu at the end of June. According to The Frisky,  the beetle extract will be lycopene, which is derived from tomatoes.

I am not bothered by the fact that I had beetles in my food. Even so, I'm sure there are plenty who are disgusted at the idea. I agree that the ingredient of crushed conchneils should have been made public knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment