Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Zach Houston and His Poem Store

Zach Houston has captivated me immediately. He runs a "Poem Store". He sets up a chair and his manual typewriter and a humble white poster board which reads: "POEMS — Your Topic, Your Price." He sets up camp in San Francisco, CA.

















Ralph Wiedemeier/NPR

According to NPR; Houston garners $2 to $20 for a poem. The 29 year old poem quit his job five years ago to write poetry on his Swiss-made, green 1968 Hermes Rocket. "Straight out of Switzerland, man," Houston says. "And it's my purse full of language. I love it."

The NPR offered a a sample of Houston's poetry. I'm thrilled as the example request came from a woman from Olympia, Washington. I attended part of my undergrad at The Evergreen State College in Washington, so Olympia is dear to my heart.

The woman who visited Olympia asked Houston to type a poem with the themes of spring break; road trips; and Olympia. Here's what Houston wrote.
"Where the Greek gods live with history and trees
protecting patience of rain forest
where it doesn't rain
simmers, fog, moisture
worship her, mother nature, newly wed
every year to visit a season
is called spring
forever returning to its source"
Not quite sure what's in store for Houston but I think he's got a creative idea that seems to serve him while. He's a twinkling star in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment