Monday, August 22, 2011

Congressman Dennis Kucinich speaks at Hempfest 2011. This non-smoker says bravo!

I am a supporter of the leagalization of marijuana. That being said I am a gal who chooses steer clear of marijuana. I understand the concept of wanting to feel good, however, I have never sought drug use to bring about that good-time feeling.

I recognize the medical uses of marijuana and am sensitive to those who greatly benefit from its potency. I also recognize that marijuana is less harmful than other common drugs such as alcohol and nicotine.

Blah, blah, all of this is pretty basic.

One of my main conflicts with marijuana is that it has a dumbing down effect that I find problematic and frankly unattractive. Additionally, marijuana can potentially be addictive and withdrawal from it is a tough one.

Some side effects are more severe than a simple case of the munchies. I'm sure it's pretty common knowledge that the ability to learn, remember and adapt can be impaired with consistent marijuana use. Depression and anxiety can occur when using the drug and certain physical dependencies are created when the drug is taken away. Possible sleeplessness and irritability. Those who become accustomed the the potency of marijuana learn to function relatively well while on the drug and it may even be difficult for others to know when they are interacting with a high person. The result is that a person must consume more weed in order to feel the high they seek.

Am I an expert? No, of course not! I have the basic ability to read information and I have been surrounded by friends, acquaintances and strangers who smoke marijuana since Jr. High School. Being a witness to those who smoke is not anything new for me and I assume nothing new for many of you. It's not outlandish by any means.

It's so common and not always threatening and therefore I do not sit among my pot smoking friends and judge them for what they do. Just as I do not judge them when they drink. I will say however, that on occasion there have been instances where I have been concerned. If you think this is BS and there is never a need for concern, just Google marijuana addiction or something similar to it, and you will find many organizations dedicated to marijuana recovery.

This being said I know that there are plenty of individuals who are able to consume marijuana and avoid too many negative side effects and who do not become addicted. Some just want to feel good and I do not shame those who want that. And for those who self-medicate, I do not shame those who just want to kill emotional pain.

My personal view is that as hard as life is, (and I have definitely come across hard times in my life) I have never wanted to depend on a band aid solution. Also, I am a person who enjoys being in control of my senses. I think that is one of my main concerns. So much, that I have learned from an early age to accept that I will not be as "fun" to some when I attend parties or am simply hanging out. So, yes, I opt to be the "boring" friend who doesn't join in.

As I mentioned earlier I do consider myself to be pro-legalization. Part of my outrage is that pot use is often considered to be a sinful or criminal. The nation will not flip upside down if pot were to become legal. The legal consequences of marijuana use and distribution is insane, unfair and inhumane.

Take a look at Congressman Dennis Kucinich speak at this year's Hempfest in the wonderful city of Seattle.


Congressman Dennis Kucinich speaks at Hempfest Seattle on August 20, 2011

For more information on Congressman Dennis Kucinch visit his official website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment