Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Health Fads: I didn't know it then & it doesn't matter now


Kombucha, Shakeology, Gluten-free, oh my!  There are three health practices I’ve taken up that apparently are current trends.  Through my research of these practices I’ve come to learn that some of the “celebs” are cluing in and trying out.
Ultimately, I didn’t know that drinking Kombucha tea, and Shakeology and living gluten-free were hip, but it doesn’t matter much to me now. Initially I my concern was that if what I was delving into was a celebrity trend then perhaps there wouldn't be any REAL validity to it and it will just be a passing fad.  But ultimately I have a good feeling about what I am doing. 
I may stay with these nutrition programs or if I lose my steam I might drop them altogether.
I just think it is great to try new things in the name of health and then weed out what works and what doesn’t.  Once decisions are made, the power of will plays into it and makes for quite a journey.
So, I’ll start down the line. 
~First GT Kombucha tea~
 














I think it was in 2007 that I first discovered Kombucha tea. I had no idea what it was. I was in a Henry’s Food Market and came across a guava flavored tea. I thought, “guava?”, “tea?” Awesome awesome. Win win.
Marketing  companies will tell you that presentation is everything. And they are right. I was sucked in by the bottle. I liked the look of the bottle and its wrapping.  The brand I bought was GT Kombucha and it is the brand I stick with today.














I took the bottle home with me and when I finally got to it I noticed all this floating crap at the bottom of the tea bottle. I figured that meant it was healthy. Heh. I took a sip and cringed immediately. I did not taste guava but vinegar. Kombucha is a fermented tea so it is fizzy.  I immediately regretted my purchase but hung onto it for a while as I had already paid for it. Eventually I just threw the bottle out as it had been staring at me from the refrigerator for way too long.

A year later I found the same tea again and I decided to give it another go. I was able to drink about half of it and then I gave it up.

Finally in 2009 a friend of mine who I had just reunited with thanks to facebook, wrote about the wonder that is Kombucha on her blog. I tried it again, but this time tried a grape flavor at someone’s recommendation. It wasn’t so bad this time and knowing all the good stuff that’s in it, lead me to drink more of it.
It’s definitely a sip sip drink.  Not something you can guzzle down.  It is a 30 days cultured tonic. During this period, enzymes, viable probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants and polyphenols will form.  Kombucha has been used for hundreds of years. It is fermented and usually made with black or green tea.

Through my research I have discovered that some of the known benefits of Kombucha are...

1) Regular consumption lengthens lifespan
2) Reduces wrinkles, liver spots on skin are less visable
3) Discourages formation of cancer
4) Heals inflammations of joints, reduces muscle pain
5) Remedy against high blood pressure
6) Heals constipation, stops contagious diarrhea, heals hemorrhoids heals inflammation of large and small intestines
7) Purifies blood, helps kidneys work more efficiently, helps liver and gall bladder work more efficiently
8) Helps to pas uric acid, heals gout
9) Reduces cholesterol level, makes veins and arteries elastic, cures the blockage of arteries, reduces the pain of blood vessel inflammation
10) Helps slimming, helps in fat burning
11) Heals prostate inflammation, enhances the sexual drive
12) Helps stabilize the glucose level, slows down the dramatic fall of blood sugar
13) Heals illnesses that develop due to weaknesses of the immune system
14) Lengthens the life of AIDS sufferers
15) Heals sore throats and eases asthma
16) Reduces menopause, relieves heat flashes
17) Heals sweaty feet
18) Heals cataracts and other illnesses of the eye
19) Heals eczema, and is a remedy against chikenpox, shingles, rashes, boils and blisters
20) Has a natural antibiotic effect
21) It is a detoxifier. It dissolves and chemically binds toxins released from the liver and other body fluids
22) Enhances the resistance against chemicals
23) Heals edema and swollen legs
24) Heals and prevents candida albicans
25) Eradicates parasites from the body
26) Ensures a general good state of health, greater mental achievement and more physical power for healthy people
27) Positive effect on the scalp: improves baldness, helps growth of stronger hair, restores the color to grey hair and makes hair grow faster
28) Helps bone formation, soothes pain of fractures and bruises. Increases nail growth
At one point Kombucha was taken off the shelves as there were concerns about the amount of alcohol in each bottle. Kombucha is a fermented tea and therefore occasionally trance amounts of alcohol exist. The amount is so benign but there was such a hub bub about it that the website now requests that only those who are 21 years and older pursue a certain portion of the website that features flavors that may or may not contain alcohol.
There are various brands of Kombucha and I have tasted many of them. I am most impressed with GT Kombucha and their flavor variety is vast.  Anyone who has consumed the GT brand probably knows the story of its birth. 

In 1995 GT founder Dave, learned that his mother had developed breast cancer and doctors had told her she had a year to live. She began drinking Kombucha and the cancer did not spread.  Is Kombucha really a miracle drink? Don’t know.  I personally do not feel any different when I drink it but I do drink it because there is a lot of good stuff in it.
There are two different types of GT's Kombucha. Raw Kombucha which is 100% Kombucha and Synergy Organic Kombucha which is 5% Organic Natural Fruit Juice along with the 95% Kombucha.



















Synergy Flavors
Triology  
(tangy raspberries, tart lemons and spicy ginger)
Mystic Mango
Raspberry Rush 
Passionberry Bliss
(passionfruit and blackberries)
Strawberry Serenity
Cosmic Cranberry
Guava Goddess
Diving Grape
Gingerberry
(blueberry juice and ginger juice)
Passionberry Bliss
(passion fruit and blackberries)

Organic Raw Kombucha
Original
Ginger
Mult-Green
Citrus
Botanic #3
(lavender and elderberry)
Botanic #7
(hibiscus, orange peel chamomile and fresh-pressed ginger)

As of this month GT has come out with Cherry Chia and Grape Chia. 














 Chia seeds are one of those “superfoods” that are filled with Omega 3 and protein.














As mentioned earlier Kombucha doesn’t change the way I feel. I’ve heard from others who actually do feel like they are more vibrant and focused when they drink it. I don’t continue my consumption of Kombucha in attempts to reach that state.

I eat vegetables because they are good for me. Sure, I enjoy the way they taste but I know that they are good for me in spite of the fact that I don’t notice an improved state of being.  I use this framework when I consume Kombucha. Don’t notice a thing but the ingredients are good so I’ll stick with it!
~Now on to Shakeology~















I was first turned onto Shakeology by a friend of mine who actually works as a fitness coach for the distributing company, Beach Body.  She believes in the product so much that she wanted to go to work for them.

I highly recommend Kristy Hatton as a beach body coach. Not simply because she’s my friend but because she continues to keep me thinking healthy, body mind and spirit. The woman is good energy. You want definitely want her in your camp.
To learn more about Kristy Hatton visit her facebook page here.
Visit her her BeachBody page here.

I was skeptical at first. I didn’t think the drink would be much different than a protein shake. I usually drank Whey protein shakes in the mornings anyway.  But when I saw 70 ingredient list of what goes into the shake powder my eyes grew to the size of saucers.














Antioxidants: acai, acerola, camu-camu, bilberry, goji, grape seed, green tea, maca root, and pomegranate.
Antioxidants reduce oxidative damage done by free radicals on the body which can increase degenerative changes on the body.  Free radicals can accelerate one’s risk for heart disease, dementia, arthritis, and high blood pressure.
Amino Acids and Proteins: amaranth, camu-camu, goji, sacha inchi, quinoa, and whey protein.
Proteins and amino acids aid your body in building muscle and recovering from the effects of exercise.  They also strengthen hair and skin, while aiding in optimal brain function through increased clarity and focus.  These ingredients have been proven to improve mood and reduce cravings by leaving you feeling “full”.
Phytonutrients:  barley grass, blue-green algae, chlorella, flax, grape seed, chia seed, hydrilla, spinach, spirulina, wheat grass, and sprouted quinoa.
Phytonutrients slow the aging process in the human body, increase immunity, aid in ridding the body of toxins, and have positive alkalizing properties (helping to balance out any acidity within the body).
Adaptogens:  ashwagandha, astragalus, cordyceps, holy basil leaf, maca root, reishi mushroom, suma root, and schisandra.
Adaptogens are derived from plants and aid the body in its ability to recover and protect from stress. Adaptogens help to balance endocrine hormones and aid in increasing the body’s immunity system.
Prebiotics:  pea fiber, and yacon root.
Prebiotics are essential for intestinal health due to their stimulation of healthy bacteria necessary for enhanced digestion.
Digestive Enzymes: amylase, bromelain, cellulose, lactase, lipase, papain, and protease.
Digestive enzymes aid in the ability of the body to absorb nutrients by helping to break them down into smaller, more soluble pieces.
Shakeology is loaded with vitamins and minerals:

Vitamin c (180mg) 300%
Vitamin d(200 iu) 50%
Vitamin E 15iu 50%
Vitamin K1 40 mcg 50%
Vitamin B1 1.5 mg 100%
B2 1.3 mg 77%
B3 5mg 25%
B6 2mg 100%
B12 6mcg 100%
Folic acid 200 mcg 50%
Biotin 90mcg 30%
Pantothenic acid 5mg 50%
Calcium 500mg 50%
Iron 4.5 mg 25%
Phosphorous 250mg 25%
Iodine 52mcg 35%
Magnesium 80 mg 20%
Zinc 6mg 40%
Copper .8mg 40%
Manganese 2mg 100%
Chromium 60mcg 50%
Molybdenum 30mcg 40%

When I first tried the samples Kristy gave me I had to choke them down. They tasted terrible. I had no idea how I was going to drink this day after day. She lead me to some recipes from the Shakeology website and ever since then I’ve been a happy camper.
All the recipes are very simple and they do not alter the drink's potency. The recipe I prefer is called the "Choco Loco". 
1/2 banana
1 scoop Chocolate Shakeology
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup nonfat soy, rice, or almond milk.
Ice to taste

I use almond milk and only use ice when I am planning on drinking it right way. I usually make it the night before and put it in the fridge until the morning. Works just dandy.
Alright on to healthy practice number three.
~As of late I have been living gluten free~
I work in the mental health field and I had heard that gluten can have negative affects on mood. I dug a little deeper and learned how gluten can negatively affect more than just mood.  Gluten can cause or contribute to fatigue, inability to concentrate, weight gain or weight loss, infertility, joint, bone or muscle pain, hair loss (alopecia), low blood sugar, muscle cramps, swelling and inflammation, early osteoporosis, and more. Living gluten-free can improve signs of aging and relieve skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. It can assist in relieving PMS symptoms and can offer an increase in energy.
I became increasingly interested and before I knew it I had gone past reading the occasional brief article to hunting down what I would hope to be the perfect, easy read, tell all guide to a gluten free diet. Isn't that what we all want when we are trying to learn? We want it all spelled out for us.
I went to my trusty friend Amazon.com and I searched for gluten free diet books and in the end the one that sold me was Living Gluten Free for Dummies by Danna Korn. Yes, my friends I can now say that I actually own one of the Dummy books. I never thought I'd see the day. And guess what? It's awesome.














Although Living Gluten Free for Dummies has recipes at the end of the book, they are limited. When I finished the book I went out and purchased Gluten-Free Cooking for Dummies, also written by Danna Korn.
I have no idea as to whether I have a gluten sensitivity. I have come to learn that a person can be affected by gluten but might not always know it.
There's a lot that can be said about gluten and gluten-free living and too much to detail. Here, I will do my best to hit some key notes.
To eat gluten-free means to avoid wheat, barely, rye, malt and in some cases oats. Might seem relatively simple but I bet you didn't know how many foods actually contain wheat. It seems that almost everything contains wheat. I felt discouraged and overwhelmed at first but I am starting to get into the swing of things.
I'm guessing that the majority of you are thinking what I did when I first learned of gluten-free living. "Isn't wheat supposed to be good for you?" It can be but I am now learning the human body doesn't fully digest wheat and some people don't tolerate it well.
There is a spectrum when it comes to gluten intolerance. Some have full fledged wheat allergies, some have a gluten sensitivity and some have celiac disease. They are all different. Sound confusing? It is.
For those who have strong symptoms, an intolerance to gluten may result in intestinal tract problems, abdominal pain, muscle spasm, vomiting and diarrhea. 
It's not always easy to test for gluten intolerance. A test can reveal if you have celiac disease but if you test negative for celiac disease it may be a false negative. This happens a lot. All you can really do is stop eating gluten and see how you feel. Some may not show any symptoms but there are over 250 symptoms so it's hard to tell. Even if there are seemingly no symptoms gluten can affect the liver and it's level of functioning.
Those with noticeable symptoms or not so noticeable symptoms can see improvements in weeks or months. Depends on the person.
The symptoms of gluten that I am most concerned about are concentration, energy levels and mood. I am learning more and more about how the amounts of protein we eat as well as sugar and other carbs affect the balance of neurotransmitters in our bodies.  
According to Living Gluten Free for Dummies, those who have a difficult time absorbing nutrients (as to people who have a gluten sensitivity) have high levels of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) and acetylcholine (ACH). These stress hormones can inhibit learning and "create anxiety, a desire to escape, a fear of new or unfamiliar things, and a poor ability to learn from experiences."
"Gluten is what scientists call the storage protein, what bakers call the dough-forming elastic ingredient in wheat, and what some newbies to the gluten-free diet pine away for. Gluten is a group of proteins that technically comes from wheat and wheat only"
I'll leave you with a list of what is safe to eat and things that are not on a gluten free diet. I will also provide some helpful resources.
You'll have to get used to reading labels. Some gluten products have the thoughtful "G" symbol 



or some variation of.  But often you'll have to check labels. There are gluten-free products out there but there really aren't a whole lot. Sure you can trot over to your local Trader Joe's, Henry's or Whole Foods Markets but their products are limited just as more mainstream markets are limited.
It's also very important to understand that just because you are purchasing products that are gluten-free you may not be eating healthy. Not only are many gluten-free products more expensive but they can be more caloric.

If you want to remain healthy or if you actually want to lose weight on a gluten-free diet then you have to make sure you are not consuming large quantities of gluten free snacks and desserts.

Stick with unprocessed meats, fruits and vegetables. Grab yourself a cookbook and learn how to make gluten free and low calorie dishes. I hate cooking so if you are resistant but really it's the only way to do it right.
Here are grains, starches and foods that are gluten-free.
Foods
Beans
Dairy Products
Eggs
Fish
Fruit
Legumes
Meat
Nuts
Poultry
Seafood
Vegetables
Grains and Starches that are gluten-free
Amaranth
Arrowroot
Beans
Buckwheat
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
Corn
Garfava
Job's Tears
Millet
Montina (Indian Ricegrass)
Oats (But they may be contaminated with wheat and other grains)
Potato
Quinoa
Ragi
Rice
Soy
Tapicoa
Taro root
Teff
Sorghum
Foods that contain gluten
Beer
Bread, breadcrumbs, biscuits
Cereal
Communion wafers
Cookies, cakes, cupcakes, donuts, muffins, pastries, pie crusts, brownies, and other baked goods
Cornread
Crackers
Croutons
Gravies, sauces, and roux
Imitation seadood
Licorice
Marinades (such as teriyaki)
Pasta
Pizza crust
Pretzels
Soy Sauce
Stuffing

The good news is that all of the above items can be substituted with gluten-free versions.
For More Information Here Are Some Resources for Gluten Free LivingGluten-Free Living - www.glutenfreeliving.com
Living WIthout - www.livingwithout.com
Journal of Gluten Sensitivity - www.celiac.com
Gluten Free Diet by Shelley Case, R.D.
Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Living by Danna Korn
Living Gluten Free for Dummies by Danna Korn
Well, that's all folks. Thanks for sticking with me on this long ong post. Appreciate it.

Like I said. Fad or no fad, trend or no trend, these practices seem helpful and even as a young woman I find it important to put in some time to do some preventative work as well as tackling active symptoms.  I think that Kombucha, Shakeology and Gluten-Free eating will help me out and only time will tell. My body will tell me.

Just goes to show that even if something is a fad, it didn't always start that way.  So, if you are coming across this blog post and are just hearing about these health practices for the first time, know that when I started I had no idea they were fashionable. Just because they are now, doesn't mean they aren't worth checking out. Our minds and our bodies are all we've got. They help us enjoy life and they help us tolerate pain. They help us grow and learn and appreciate the time that we have. 
Be well and be healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Finally, while they list 10 of their favorite anti-inflammation foods (salmon, flaxseeds, blueberries, almonds, mushrooms, broccoli, quinoa, brussels sprouts, onions, and green tea) they fail to give us the IF factor. (They do provide a list of 10 common foods, however.)They talk about nutritionist Monica Reinagel, the creator of the inflammation factor (IF) and tell the reader to go to her site for food ratings. Much more helpful would have been if they took some of their recipes and gave us examples of menus with the IF factors. According to Reinagel, we should strive for 50 + a day...well, show us how to do that!

    ReplyDelete