Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Happy 50th Anniversary To Alvin Ailey's "Revelations"

50 years of Revelations. How glorious. Revelations is the signature dance piece of Alvin Ailey. The Alvin Ailey Dance Theater began Revelations on January 31, 1960 in New York, New York. Revelations tells the story of African-American struggle from slavery and faith and freedom.



Regardless as to how you feel about God and spirituality, I think it is difficult to not be moved by the Revelations performance. I am a huge fan of storytelling and dance is medium in which to tell stories. Revelations speaks to hardship, joy, perseverance, a history of slavery, a history of church, prayer, song, darkness and light.
















I am very aware of my place of privilege. As a white/mexican woman who cannot truly know what it is to be African American, then or now, I can only be a spectator witnessing from the outside in. But I can sit, I can watch, I can listen, I can feel and I can clap my hands together in gratitude and humility.

Alvin Ailey (January 5, 1931 – December 1, 1989) was an amazing modern dance choreographer who created 79 dance pieces in his career. He is sadly no long with us as he died from AIDS in 1989 at the age of 58.






















I have been dancing from a young age and if I had had the guts I would have pursued professional dance. I did not have the bravery within me as I am a person who needs stability and there is no stability in the profession of dance. Additionally, the life of a dance is usually very short. When I see Revelations I am envious with all that I am.


















The below piece is the opening section of Revelations entitled "Pilgrim of Sorrow". Ailey described this section as "songs that yearn for deliverance, that speak of trouble and of this world's trials and tribulations."


Revelations - "I've Been Buked"

The second section, "Wade in the Water", features an enactment of a ceremonial baptism.


Revelations - "Wade in the Water"

Before closing, I feel it is very important to mention Judith Jamison.




















Jamison joined the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in 1965. Ailey actually created some of his roles for her. Jamison eventually started her own theater called The Jamison Project. In 1989 she returned to the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater  and Ailey asked her to be his successor as Artistic Director. I imagine that was quite an honor.

Revelations is a masterpiece and one that is so special that it has continued for 50 years and it will go way beyond.

Resources:
To learn more about the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, for class schedules, performance schedules, and online gift shop visit the official Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater website here.
To visit the official Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater facebook page click here.
To visit the official Ailey II facebook page click here
To visit the official Ailey Extension facebook page click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment