Thursday, November 3, 2011

Being Elmo

Big. This is big. I just learned of documentary new to theaters; Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey. The film speaks to the history of the Sesame Street character and the man behind the puppet.














Kevin Clash is the force behind the three-and-a-half years old monster - a cuddly, friendly and fuzzy creature who endearingly speaks in the third person. Elmo came to life in 1985 and has been adored ever since. He arrived sixteen years later after Sesame Street got it's start in 1969.

It was in 2000 that I came across a documentary (the name escapes me) in which Clash was featured. It was around that time that I began read articles where the authors felt the need to highlight the fact that Clash is a black man. As if it was such a shock that a black man could play the part of a character that we all enjoy.

Instead of Clark's race, we are better to direct our attention to the talent and whimsy of this influential puppeteer. 


Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey

I couldn't be more excited about this film. Not only do I salivate over a well done documentary; I am giddy for an infectious documentary that inspires.






















Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey, is currently screening in select theaters. To find a playdate at a theater near you, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment