Thursday, June 25, 2009

King of Pop dies at age 50


(deviantart.com)
So, where were YOU when you heard the news? I was in my car. I turned on the radio as I hadn't brought any cds with me. A radio DJ announced the news rather matter of factly (as I am sure he had been repeating the news for quite some time) ...so matter of factly that it thought what I heard was inaccurate. My mouth gaped wide and I listened to what was apparently the truth. I'm sure we are all saying many of the same things. He was so young, so talented.


(artknowledgesnews.com)
Michael Jackson's music was so transcendent. What is it about HIS pop music that influenced so many?


Michael has been one of my favorite artist since childhood and I have continued to listen to his music throughout my life. But what is it about an artist's death that has people suddenly listening to his music?

Tonight my favorite music store Ameoba Records in Hollywood has sold out their inventory of Michael's music. I understand how a person might want to listen to his music at this time. It is a reminder of his talent, it is a form of greiving, it is a form of celebration.

Here is my question. Are the people that are just now purchasing Michael cds, have other Michael albums in their collection? Or are these people purchasing his music because the news of his death is the current buzz? I think is a real attention getter and different folks react in a myriad of ways. I find it quite interesting.

I remember when Johnny Cash passed away I felt sadder than I had expected to feel. People flooded to music stores to purchase his albums. My first thought was....where was your interest when he was alive? But again, I do think that death uproots all kinds of emotions.


I've found that his death has brought up various discussions about the singer. I've spoken with friends about what we've witnessed throughout his life. From the Jackson 5, to his solo career, to his quirkiness, to the scandals (and yes I still question whether or not he committed those crimes).

I think Michael was lonely and pained. I have always had empathy and sympathy for him. Unfortunately, I think he died a very sad man.

I will remember him for a variety of reasons but mostly I will be greatful for this contributions. His music and his humanitarian contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment