Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty - Friend or foe?

Whenever I post a video on my blog I am weary as I know that I am at the mercy of whomever posted the video. In other words it can be taken down at any time.

So, here I am adding some photos and explanation along with this video.


Evolution by Dove

This is an ad from Dove's Campaign For Real Beauty.



The video shows a woman who is transformed into an image that is anything but her own. With make-up, lighting, and photo shop imaging she is transformed into a very commercialized version of herself. The Dove ad shows us how companies alter a person's appearance and then sell it to us so that we can strive to look a certain way.





I had originally seen this ad years ago, I believe on the Oprah show. A friend of mine recently posted this on facebook and reminded me of it.

My friend stated that she thinks every young girl should see this ad. I agree. I also think that every teen boy and adult man and woman should see this as well.

I do appreciate Dove putting out this ad, however, I have had my own discrepancies with Dove.

Does anyone remember the Dove girls?



In 2004 these women posed in their underwear for Dove saying that they loved their natural figures even though they weren't considered as thin as super models. But yet the this particular ad was selling a cream that would supposedly diminish cellulite. Doesn't that seem contradictory?

I have no problem with a woman wanting to lose weight or rid themselves of cellulite. But just don't pretend that you content with your body the way it is, when you really are not. And Dove please do not tell me that you are a company that encourages "natural" beauty when you are selling products to hide that.



I decided to visit the Dove website to read more about their Campaign for Beauty. They state that their mission is to help young women learn to free themselves of self-limiting beauty stereotypes. The site asks us to donate money to their Dove Self-Esteem fund. The "DSEF" supports "Uniquely Me!" which is a partnership with the USA Girl Scouts that helps girls 8 though 17 through after school programs, self esteem building events and education.

I watched several promotional videos and read articles from the Dove website. What I have kept in mind is that even though Dove seemingly is attempting to use their company as a catalyst for positive change, remember that they are also trying to sell us their products. Ultimately, Dove is a beauty product company.

I do not think that Dove is evil but I do not think that they are all that good either. I do not really know how or if they are truly helping young girls or not. In my opinion their website is vague in the way it explains how their campaign is truly effective. I can't help but wonder if the people at Dove truly care about the esteem of young girls or if this is just another way to advertise and sell their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment