Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Childless By Choice Project

I found a new blog about singles and couples living childfree lives. The website is called The Childless By Choice Project. I am always weary when I see a "childfree" website as I have found that some are not just childfree but anti-children.

For example. I have read articles that site studies that conclude that not having children is actually good for the environment. For example. The Childless by Choice blog site mentions a study that was published in Global Environmental Change 19 (2009).

Under current conditions in the United States, for example, each child adds about 9441 metric tons of carbon dioxide to the carbon legacy of an average female, which is 5.7 times her lifetime emissions.

Clearly, an individual’s reproductive choices can have a dramatic effect on the total carbon emissions ultimately attributable to his or her genetic lineage.

While this is interesting information I don't feel the need to go around suggesting to people I know that they should avoid parenthood.

Sometimes I find childfree websites interesting as I enjoy reading stories about individuals who actually have no desire to have children. It helps as I sometimes have felt alone as it seems that everyone around me is either having babies or is seriously considering it.

I don't however, feel the need to preach or start a campaign. I simply want to live my life the way I choose without others thinking that there is something not quite right with me because I don't want children. I haven't had any of my friends criticize me for not wanting children but everyone I have told has had the same reaction when I tell them I do not want children of my own.

"YOU DONT?!"


I have explained in previous posts why I do not wish to have children. To recap briefly I will say that I do enjoy children. I have worked with children in different capacities and I think I intereact well with them. I simply do not have the desire to have any of my own.

I have plenty of love to give to a future partner, and to friends.

Being childfree however has left me with some concerns. Yes, all you parents or parents to be out there I do have some concerns. I wonder if I will be able to find a man who does not want children. My last boyfriend didn't want children and I felt fortunate to share the same viewpoint. However, we are no longer together and as I age I worry that I may lose a potentially great partner because of my choice.

I also have wondered who would take care of me when I'm old as I won't have children to depend on. I will have to plan differently that some. I assume however, that because I will save money due to not having children I will be able to find appropriate care and housing. That's my hope anyway.

But yes things of this nature have entered my mind. It would be silly of course and non-sensical to compromise my beliefs due to any concerns.

For more info on The Child Free Project check out their official website or their blog site.


Childfree Couples on Good Morning America


Childfree Couple on Tyra Banks Show

No comments:

Post a Comment