Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Love for Chocolove

I'd say it was 2001 that I was informed about Chocolove chocolate. I was in college and at that time chocolate was chocolate. In other words I didn't think there was much of a difference between different brands. I didn't eat it all that much and Hershey chocolate suited me just fine.

My fellow classmate informed me that she was a great lover of chocolate and she felt that Chocolove was the best. I remember thinking that the name Chocolove was a ridiculous name and didn't sound like anything special.

For some reason during that year I began craving chocolate for the first time. I didn't know what to make of it as this had never happened to me before. I questioned whether it it was hormonal. I was living with 4 other female roommates in a dorm. Our menstrual cycles linked up and I found myself bonding with women which was a bit strange for me. Not that I do not have female friends but I seem to get along with men more so than women.

Anyway...

A couple of years after I graduated from college I remembered the name Chocolove. I decided to look it up. I found a site that sold Chocolove but only by the case. Wasn't worth it to me.



Then one day I was shoping in a Henry's Market and there it was! Dark Chocolate Chocolove. At the time I wasn't the greatest fan of dark chocolate. I was so eager to try it however, that I bought it. I thought it was good but not great.



I did however appreciate the smooth chocolate texture and the pretty heart shapes lightly engraved on top.

Some time went by. One day I had a hankering for chocolate and purchased a bar of Dove milk chocolate. It was so good! The next time I had a piece of Hershey's chocolate and it tasted gross. Grainy and almost plastic. I guess I had sophisticated my palate in a short amount of time and with very little effort.

For a while I couldn't find Milk Chocolate Chocolove. The day it finally showed up at my local market, I was thrilled. Quite nummy.

Since then Chocolove has come out with a variety of flavors.



My absolute favorite is the Dark Chocolate with Cherries and Almonds.



Other flavors I have tried are Almond and Toffee, and Chocolate with Orange Peel.



Raspberries in Dark Chocolate is the newest flavor. I will soon be making a trip to the market to see if this is in stores yet.

For those of you who are curious, Chocolove is Kosher but not vegan. Some of the chocolates are organic.

On all of the wrappers is a percentage. For example, the Raspberries in Dark Chocolate is 55% percent cocoa. According to the Chocolove website, the percentage is the amount by weight of the ingredients derived directly from the cocoa bean. Cocoa powder, cocoa butter, and cocoa liquor are all derived directly from the bean. The higher the cocoa content in a bar, the less sugar the chocolate contains.

The official website also addresses a common inquiry about their product. Why Chocolove? Is there really a connection between chocolate and love? The website explains that, "Phenylethylamine (PEA) is a naturally occurring compound in chocolate. When consumed, it releases endorphins in the brain and produces a mild feeling of euphoria, similar to the sensation of being in love. Other compounds that naturally occur in chocolate include serotonin, theobromine and anandamine which are all naturally occurring compounds that elevate mood, increase circulation and enhance sensory perception."

I don't know about you but I do not feel lovey dovey or a sense euphoria when I eat chocolate. But sometimes when I'm in the mood for something sweet it hits the spot.

For more information on Chocolove visit these sites.


Chocolove official website


Chocolove facebook




No comments:

Post a Comment