Sunday, October 11, 2009

Reconsider Columbus Day



"In fourteen hundred and ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue."

Tomorrow marks Columbus day. I've heard from people who get the day off and others who complain as they still have to work. More so than discussing whether we have to work or not, I think we should be thinking about why this "holiday" is marked on our calendars in the first place.

First of all..
Does anyone really celebrate this U.S. holiday? I don't know anyone who does. Do you?

Christopher Columbus first arrived in a land known as "America" on October 12, 1492. The first official Columbus Day took place in in 1792. 1972 marked the 300th anniversary of Columbus' landing.

I do not think that individuals who mark Columbus Day with importance are also intentionally celebrating a time of genocide. However, it would be foolish not to acknowledge what occurred.


Reconsider Columbus Day

For more information go to ReconsiderColumbusDay.org

It's been a while since elementary, jr. high and high school days...but I don't remember hearing about the genocide that occurred when I learned about Christopher Columbus. I wonder how much is omitted in classrooms today.

Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment