Friday, October 16, 2009

Whoopi Goldberg states that Roman Polanski did not "Rape-Rape" 13 year old Samantha Gailey in 1977

I'm sure most of us have been following the Roman Polanski case. For those of you who haven't you can read about it here.


(source)

Just to give a very brief overview...director Roman Polanski (Chinatown, The Pianist) raped a 13 year old girl in 1977. The grand jury charged Polanski with “rape by use of drugs,’’ “lewd and lascivious acts upon child under 14,’’ “perversion,’’ and “sodomy’’ (the latter two for acts that are now legal if consensual, and are sexual assault if not). Polanski pleaded guilty but fled out of the country before he was sentenced. Polanski's victim wants the whole issue dropped. I can only imagine what this woman has gone through in life, however, I wish she would see that too many women either don't report a rape or let it go. I think this guy needs to be brought back and sentenced.

Recently on an episode of The View, panel member Whoopi Goldberg had this to say about Roman Polanski.


(source)

"I know it wasn't rape-rape. It was something else but I don't believe it was rape-rape. He went to jail and and when they let him out he was like, 'You know what, this guy's going to give me a hundred years in jail. I'm not staying.' So that's why he left."

She later added,

"We're a different kind of society, we see things differently ... would I want my 14-year-old having sex with somebody? Not necessarily, no."


Whoopi Goldberg says that when director Roman Polanski raped a 13 year old girl in 1978 it was not "rape rape"

Whoopi what in the world are you saying?! I'm surprised she didn't get boos from the audience. I don't understand the reasoning behind what she is saying.

As I was reading various articles on this topic I came across one by NewsBusters that offered excepts from the grand jury testimony of Samantha Gailey. Be forewarned that Gailey's descriptions are graphic and this could be triggering to some.

Q: Did you take a quaalude?
A: I took part of it.
Q: Where did you get this part?
A: [Polanski] gave it to me.
[...]
Q: After he kissed you did he say anything?
A: No.
Q: Did you say anything?
A: No, besides I was just going, "No. Come on, let's go home."
Q: What was said after you indicated that you wanted to go home when you were sitting on the couch?
A: He said "I'll take you home soon."
Q: Then what happened?
A: Then he went down and he started performing cuddliness.
Q: What does that mean?
A: It means he went down on me or he placed his mouth on my vagina.
[...]
Q: What happened after that?
A: He started to have intercourse with me.
Q: What do you mean by intercourse?
A: He placed his penis in my vagina.
Q: What did you say, if anything, before he did that?
A: I was mostly just on and off saying, "No, stop." But I wasn't fighting really because I, you know, there was no one else there and I had no place to go.
Q: What did he say, if anything?
A: He didn't answer me when I said, "No."
[...]
A: I think he said something like right after I said I was not on the pill, right before he said, "Oh, I won't come inside of you then." And I just went--and he goes--and then he put me--wait. Then he lifted my legs up farther and he went in through my anus.
Q: When you say he went in your anus, what do you mean by that?
A: He put his penis in my butt.
Q: Did he say anything at that time?
A: No.
Q: Did you resist at that time?
A: A little bit, but not really because--(pause.)
Q: Because what?
A: Because I was afraid of him.

[...]
Q: Do you know what a climax is?
A: Yes.
Q: Do you know whether he had a climax?
A: Yes.
Q: And how do you know that?
A: Because I could kind of feel it and it was in my underwear. It was in my underwear. It was on my butt and stuff.
Q: When you say that, you believe that he climaxed in your anus?
A: Yes.

Even though it is clear from this testimony that Gailey was describing rape, I think it is important for Whoopi and others to know that rape does not only entail a penis entering a vagina or buttox. Is an individual is fondled and does not wish to be....that is rape.

No comments:

Post a Comment